Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

Right now, I'm drinking a Margarita, my own recipe-- 2oz Camarena Reposado Tequila, 0.75oz Combier (the original French Triple SEC), a dash of lime juice, a dash of Simple Syrup, and about 2oz of lemon juice.

I like Tequila Camarena because it is very high quality (100% Blue Weber Agave), very affordable (<$20/bottle), and doesn't use any caramel. They did produce a top-echelon Tequila called "Trago" a while back, but I guess it didn't get any traction. I guess now that Patron has burned everyone out on expensive Tequila, the mid-priced segment is heating up...

I also have a bottle of Siete Leguas Anejo, and a bottle of Ilegal Oaxaca Mezcal Joven. The former is very rich and whiskey-like, whereas the letter is light, but smoky.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Disciple

Re: The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

I guess now that Patron has burned everyone out on expensive Tequila, the mid-priced segment is heating up...
    Thats great news. I was a big tequila hound till I got sick of the prices. I had fun making pilgrimages to a few bars in LV and NYNY though over the years.

I think my favorite value pour in Ohio is Milagro Reposado. I got pretty burnt out on Anejo's and found myself gravitating more to Reposado's and Blancos.

Of course anything is better than the Two Fingers I cut my teeth on.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Thats great news. I was a big tequila hound till I got sick of the prices. I had fun making pilgrimages to a few bars in LV and NYNY though over the years.

I think my favorite value pour in Ohio is Milagro Reposado. I got pretty burnt out on Anejo's and found myself gravitating more to Reposado's and Blancos.

Of course anything is better than the Two Fingers I cut my teeth on.
    I've noticed that a couple of former Mixtos are now 100% Agave Tequilas-- El Jimador, the budget companion brand to Herradura, comes to mind. So does Cazadores (the one with the stag on it). Both have gone upward in price a bit and are now in the mid-priced segment. El Jimador, in particular, used to be just a couple of bucks more than Sauza or Jose Cuervo.

Not that I'm complaining-- I don't buy mixtos, and I'm glad to see more affordable 100% Agave tequilas coming into the market.

Virtuoso

Lunazul repesado
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

I used to like Cazadores quite a bit. Then one day I was drinking the Reposado straight and got wild onions. And I tried it a few more times and the flavor persisted.

I used to drive tractor quite a bit and when you ran into a few acres where wild onions were persistent you got sick of the smell real quick.

I still think it's a great tequila for drinks. I just don't like it straight anymore.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    ...I think my favorite value pour in Ohio is Milagro Reposado. I got pretty burnt out on Anejo's and found myself gravitating more to Reposado's and Blancos...
    I tend to gravitate toward anejo, but I've read several places that aficionados south of the border prefer more robust blanco.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    I tend to gravitate toward anejo, but I've read several places that aficionados south of the border prefer more robust blanco.
    Black Pepper goodness.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

Disciple

Nice thread! I was drinking whiskey tonight, but after coming across this I poured some Del Maguey Tobala.

Tobala is Oaxacan Mezcal made not from the typical Espadin, but rather wild, mountain-grown Agave that may only be harvested once a year. With wild grown agave, the pinas are about a third the size of the pinas of farmed agave. The flavors are off the charts compared to farm grown, IMHO.

Love this thread. Outside of Whiskey, Mezcal is what I reach for most.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

couple of articles worth reading about the current state of Tequila manufacturing:

http://www.29-95.com/restaurants/sto...revere-tequila

and the attached .pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    couple of articles worth reading about the current state of Tequila manufacturing:

http://www.29-95.com/restaurants/sto...revere-tequila

and the attached .pdf
    I don't agree with them 100%, but they are definitely well-written and gave me a good chuckle.

Interesting point about the agricultural practices with Agave, though, especially with the recent Agave crop shortage about a decade back. What if disease hits?

I'm glad to see that I am justified in my choice of tequila-- Siembra Azul and Siete Leguas. I'd love to try Tequila Ocho, but I can't get any in PA.

Well, if Tequila does get too over-done... there is always Mezcal and Sotol.