Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
I agree - I need the oak, vanilla and tannins to get the most out of my booze.

To that end, I recently picked up a repasado and am aging it further in my own heavily charred mini-barrel to see what comes out!

Given that soooo much of the whisk(e)y flavor comes from wood, I have to think that Tequila would do equally as well further aged... but then again, why isn't somebody already doing "aged Tequila" if that's true?

Oh well, worst case I get some nice, woody, smooth tequila - and then some neat tequila after-flavors to finish a bourbon or something in...?
They are already doing aged tequila, it's called anejo (aged more than 1 year) and extra anejo (aged more than 3 years). Generally, you don't see much tequila aged more than 5 years, as tequila ages very quickly and has a much higher angel's share compared to whiskey when aged for the same period.

Brands that I would recommend:
El Tesoro
Casa Noble
Siete Leguas
Fortaleza
Siembra Azul

The last two are fairly new, both produced by people that care. In fact, Fortaleza refuses to increase production, even though the demand is high, as they don't want quality to suffer. I haven't had the ocho, but have constantly heard good things about it.

Most of the new expensive brands on the market should be avoided. They're just marketing-crazed inferior products like vodka. If are a lot of decent cheap 100% agave brands out there under $30, but they are brands you have never heard of before. But they are not all good, so try to stick to those you have never heard of.

Lastly, in my opinion, old classics like Herradura, Chinaco, Gran Centenario, and Don Julio have pushed production to such a degree that the quality is inconsistent and I wouldn't trust picking up a bottle of any of these.