Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I agree - I need the oak, vanilla and tannins to get the most out of my booze.

To that end, I recently picked up a repasado and am aging it further in my own heavily charred mini-barrel to see what comes out!

Given that soooo much of the whisk(e)y flavor comes from wood, I have to think that Tequila would do equally as well further aged... but then again, why isn't somebody already doing "aged Tequila" if that's true?

Oh well, worst case I get some nice, woody, smooth tequila - and then some neat tequila after-flavors to finish a bourbon or something in...?
    They are already doing aged tequila, it's called anejo (aged more than 1 year) and extra anejo (aged more than 3 years). Generally, you don't see much tequila aged more than 5 years, as tequila ages very quickly and has a much higher angel's share compared to whiskey when aged for the same period.

Brands that I would recommend:
    El Tesoro
    Casa Noble
    Siete Leguas
    Fortaleza
    Siembra Azul

The last two are fairly new, both produced by people that care. In fact, Fortaleza refuses to increase production, even though the demand is high, as they don't want quality to suffer. I haven't had the ocho, but have constantly heard good things about it.

Most of the new expensive brands on the market should be avoided. They're just marketing-crazed inferior products like vodka. If are a lot of decent cheap 100% agave brands out there under $30, but they are brands you have never heard of before. But they are not all good, so try to stick to those you have never heard of.

Lastly, in my opinion, old classics like Herradura, Chinaco, Gran Centenario, and Don Julio have pushed production to such a degree that the quality is inconsistent and I wouldn't trust picking up a bottle of any of these.

Advanced Taster

Had some of the KAH day of the dead blanco tequila. First time I've really had tequila by itself and not mixed into some kind of cocktail. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Guru

Last night was taco night.......had a couple margaritas made with Hurrradura reposado..... 2-1-1 formula

I realy wish I could find El Tesoro around here. When I do, at one particular HY-Vee, the blanco is priced at fifty bux the same price as the Anejo (what's up with that?). And the last time I went down to Peoria, Frier Tucks didn't have any of their line.

Enthusiast

I recently had some Del Maguey Chichicapa - wow was it good.

Set out on a quest to find some - with no luck so far, but in the process I discovered - and picked up a bottle of - Sombra.

Not as over the top smokey as Del Maguey (which could give just about any Islay Scotch a run for its money), but close - a more subdued smoke, but a bigger, more robust flavor to go along with it.

Here locally it's about $35, half the price of the Del Maguey I was after - and honestly, it's nearly as good - or maybe just as good? I see the retail price is supposed to be closer to $50, however - but it's still a good buy at that point.

Very spicey - lots of black pepper bite, a citrus/mint-type component (basil or even cilantro?), maybe some charred metal or burned earth, and a nice mesquite-smoke finish, with some smoke throughout (on the nose, palate also, but strongest on the finish).

I haven't mixed it with anything yet - just drinking it straight. It's 45%, which is nice, a little splash/drop of water helps open it up and enhances the smoke.

Anybody else try Sombra and have thoughts?

Taster

I am drinking some Monte Alban Mezcal today.

This is actually not a bad mezcal at all, despite a lot of reviews on the net comparing it to diesel fuel. Tastings.com gave it a score of 85 and after drinking it for a couple weeks I'm inclined to agree that it is not bad...at all. Along with some Cointreau, it also makes a delicious Oaxacan margarita, or "smoky rita," as I call them.

It's 100% agave with a slight golden color. The nose is very smoky and the taste is quite nice, a bit salty perhaps but overall a very creamy mouthfeel. It goes very well with carnitas, enchiladas, frijoles and other Tex-Mex specialties, cutting the greasiness of Tex-Mex cuisine but not being out-of-place with the food.

Overall, a nice drink without the expense of the higher-quality (and more expensive) single village mezcals.

Enthusiast

Last night at a local watering hole (shout out to The Whiskey Cake) I had an outstanding drink:

Muddle Red Bell Pepper (made nearly an ounce of "juice") and muddled/slapped Basil that was strained so no "bits" got in
    A big squirt of Agave Syrup
    Lemon Juice
    Muddled slice of Jalapeno pepper
    Smacked Basil leaves
    Big shot of Sombra Mescal

Mouth-watering and savory - really great drink. The jalapeno slice put it over the top in terms of "mmmmm" - but even without it was still great.

Poor bartender probably put his arm out muddling all the bell pepper, but had the idea that perhaps a few drops of concentrated beef bullion would help it get more punch? I'm not sure, but it's a neat idea... however, it was quite good as-is.

Really good - highly recommend it!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fitzharry View Post
    I am drinking some Monte Alban Mezcal today.

This is actually not a bad mezcal at all, despite a lot of reviews on the net comparing it to diesel fuel. Tastings.com gave it a score of 85 and after drinking it for a couple weeks I'm inclined to agree that it is not bad...at all. Along with some Cointreau, it also makes a delicious Oaxacan margarita, or "smoky rita," as I call them.

It's 100% agave with a slight golden color. The nose is very smoky and the taste is quite nice, a bit salty perhaps but overall a very creamy mouthfeel. It goes very well with carnitas, enchiladas, frijoles and other Tex-Mex specialties, cutting the greasiness of Tex-Mex cuisine but not being out-of-place with the food.

Overall, a nice drink without the expense of the higher-quality (and more expensive) single village mezcals.
    I'm a big fan of Monte Alban, if for no other reason than it is widely available and reasonably priced. It is pretty good for what it is, I think.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Last night at a local watering hole (shout out to The Whiskey Cake) I had an outstanding drink:

Muddle Red Bell Pepper (made nearly an ounce of "juice") and muddled/slapped Basil that was strained so no "bits" got in
    A big squirt of Agave Syrup
    Lemon Juice
    Muddled slice of Jalapeno pepper
    Smacked Basil leaves
    Big shot of Sombra Mescal

Mouth-watering and savory - really great drink. The jalapeno slice put it over the top in terms of "mmmmm" - but even without it was still great.

Poor bartender probably put his arm out muddling all the bell pepper, but had the idea that perhaps a few drops of concentrated beef bullion would help it get more punch? I'm not sure, but it's a neat idea... however, it was quite good as-is.

Really good - highly recommend it!
    Sounds interesting, although I'm shocked by the use of lemon rather than lime.

Enthusiast

don abraham anejo. it's the stuff.
    -SOB-

Connoisseur
    Tequila ocho respado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk