Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

Sombra is a good, smoky, single village mezcal.

Wade,

Give BF a chance with Herradura. The Herradura family sold to BF because they wanted another family-run company. BF has said they're not looking to change anything at the distillery. Their emphasis is on marketing it better up here. I have also heard from independent sources that Herradura is one of the more highly regarded producers.

I've met the people behind Partida. They're very nice people but they're marketing people and it's a new operation, so I'd want to know more about the history of the place they bought. While I think the product is very good, it doesn't knock me out for the price.

As Terry Sullivan once famously said about a new vodka, "it's filtered through the hair of 1,000 Polish virgins." There may have been an additional word modifying "hair," I don't remember.

And I just realized (after I looked at his blog) that your last post was quoting Bobby.

Companies will do what customers show them they value. To this point, tequila customers have mostly responded to shiny objects and unsubstantiated quality claims supported primarily by high prices. Why? Because, as with most things, they're unwilling to do the work to actually learn something.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-13-2011 at 23:02.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    What's the richest, earthiest, smokiest Mezcal? Given I love spicy rye and the peatier/smokier the better on my Scotch - what should I look for in Mezcal that I might get a bang out of.

If Thomas Handy, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Ardbeg Uigadale/Laphroaigh Cask Strength are my favorite offerings among the "browns" as it were, what might I like in a mezcal, sotol or even tequila?
    I agree with Chuck on the Sombra, and also Del Maguey San Luis del Rio, and Los Nahuales Blanco.

Guru

El Tesoro's entire line are winners in my book. I love their reposado and anejo, but even their blanco (which they call "platinum") is outstanding!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

For a summertime tequila drink, I like Cuervo Black Medallion, diet pepsi and a slice of lime. I'm not at all into magaritas, they give me a sour stomach!

Thomas

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Wade,

Give BF a chance with Herradura. The Herradura family sold to BF because they wanted another family-run company. BF has said they're not looking to change anything at the distillery. Their emphasis is on marketing it better up here. I have also heard from independent sources that Herradura is one of the more highly regarded producers.
    Agreed. I got to sample a Reposado from them yesterday that was bottled special for a local store. After its regular barrel time, it got a secondary short term aging in a new toasted barrel.

I never have been too much of a fan of tequila, and granted, haven't had a huge sampling of different varieties, but man, this really was a eye opener. Amazingly good. A candidate for sipping neat, it would be a shame to mix it with anything.

I know it will be around there for awhile, and might have to go and get one.

B

Enthusiast

Picked up a bottle of Hacienda De Chihuahua Sotol Plata - it's alright. $20 at Goody Goody. It tastes a bit like Camarena, but nowhere near as smooth.

I'd almost describe it as Gin like - lots of botanical effects, but without the headache (for me) inducing qualities of the Gin odor.

Lower proof than I'm used to (76) and for being clear, it's mighty flavorful and tasty. It's bitter to be sure, and a bit earthy, metallic & smokey. I'll sip it again tonight - but first blush reaction was it's quite a bit better than the majority of Tequilas I've had even at 2x-3x the price.

Unique, but clearly in the Tequila family!

FWIW: Hacienda De Chihuahua appears to be the only brand available in North Texas. Anybody know of any others? I'll likely grab a Resposado or Anejo of the Hacienda - depending on suggestions from you kind folks.

76 proof Tequila? Not in these United States. It has to be at least 80. I'm not saying you don't have a bottle of something that's 76 proof, it's just not Tequila.

(If you bought it outside the U.S., all bets are off.)

Enthusiast

76 proof Tequila? Not in these United States. It has to be at least 80. I'm not saying you don't have a bottle of something that's 76 proof, it's just not Tequila.

It's not Tequila, it's Sotol-- different plant, probably different rules, but I don't know about the latter statement for sure...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Enthusiast

It's not Tequila - it's Sotol. It's 38%, or 76 proof.

It's still good, but lighter on alcohol than I'd like. Not watery at all - just not as potent as I'd prefer