Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

I've had quite a bit of trouble going back to good Tequilas after getting hooked on good Mezcal. As most of us bourbonites are suckers for a big flavor, you should try out a Del Maguey Mezcal or the like. A whole lot more going on in the glass compared to pretty much every Tequila I've had.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

You never have to go far to trip over Sazerac. Hacienda De Chihuahua Sotol is a Sazerac product, through its Gemini division. Still can't explain how it's 38% ABV. Either it's not for sale in the U.S. or it's not a straight spirit and is instead some kind of 'distilled spirit specialty.'

Del Maguey Mezcal is also Gemini.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-16-2011 at 21:43.

Connoisseur

Has anybody had agavales anejo tequila? 100 percent blue agave for 13 bucks a liter here. I was leary because of the price, but I got it anyway. Boy was I pleased. Better than the stuff 3 times the price. Great straight or in a mixed drink. I have had sotol and it is great. One interesting note is the best tequila and the best sugar, sour corn based white lightning from south alabama and south missisippi taste almost identical. I think that is must be the use of wild yeast.

Guru

Hornitos with Mexican food last night. Nothing fancy--just good, old fashioned tequila the way your (Mexican friend's) grandfather drank it.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I decided to stock up on 7 Leguas Blanco; bought a 6 pack for $123.

Taster

just to follow Chuck Siete Leguas is Gemini/Sazerac also.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Who brought the chips?

Enthusiast

Bought a bottle of Real de Jalpa Reposado Mezcal ($20 and recommended by the manager - a Tequila buff). It's not bad... A good buy, all things considered.

Nice flavors, good balance, nice smoke & some fruit, too. I think I prefer Reposodos and Anejos, however - could be the whisk(e)y buff in me looking for those wood influences to round it out, the silvers I've had have left me wanting more... so far.

Virtuoso

Can any Minnesota SBers recommend a liquor store with a decent selection? Specifcally for mezcals... I see Monte Alban and precious little else.

Fortunately decent tequila is not that hard to come by.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Could be the whisk(e)y buff in me looking for those wood influences to round it out, the silvers I've had have left me wanting more... so far.
    I agree - I need the oak, vanilla and tannins to get the most out of my booze.

To that end, I recently picked up a repasado and am aging it further in my own heavily charred mini-barrel to see what comes out!

Given that soooo much of the whisk(e)y flavor comes from wood, I have to think that Tequila would do equally as well further aged... but then again, why isn't somebody already doing "aged Tequila" if that's true?

Oh well, worst case I get some nice, woody, smooth tequila - and then some neat tequila after-flavors to finish a bourbon or something in...?

Guru

Enjoying some Cuervo Anejo I picked up a couple yrs. ago. It's the hand-blown bottle with the wax seal and the cork hanging off the side (at least before I opened it). I came across a stash of these a while ago. Probably shoulda picked up more.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog