Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

Right now, I'm drinking a Margarita, my own recipe-- 2oz Camarena Reposado Tequila, 0.75oz Combier (the original French Triple SEC), a dash of lime juice, a dash of Simple Syrup, and about 2oz of lemon juice.

I like Tequila Camarena because it is very high quality (100% Blue Weber Agave), very affordable (<$20/bottle), and doesn't use any caramel. They did produce a top-echelon Tequila called "Trago" a while back, but I guess it didn't get any traction. I guess now that Patron has burned everyone out on expensive Tequila, the mid-priced segment is heating up...

I also have a bottle of Siete Leguas Anejo, and a bottle of Ilegal Oaxaca Mezcal Joven. The former is very rich and whiskey-like, whereas the letter is light, but smoky.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Disciple

Re: The SB Agave Spirits Thread-- What are you drinking?

I guess now that Patron has burned everyone out on expensive Tequila, the mid-priced segment is heating up...
    Thats great news. I was a big tequila hound till I got sick of the prices. I had fun making pilgrimages to a few bars in LV and NYNY though over the years.

I think my favorite value pour in Ohio is Milagro Reposado. I got pretty burnt out on Anejo's and found myself gravitating more to Reposado's and Blancos.

Of course anything is better than the Two Fingers I cut my teeth on.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Enthusiast

A quick glossary of Agave spirits terms:

Blanco/Plata/Platino/Cristal/Silver-- All terms used to denote a fresh, un-aged Tequila. Straight from the still, cut with water to proof, then bottled.

Reposado-- "Rested" in Oak for at least 2 months, but less than a year.

Anejo-- "Aged" in Oak, usually for a year or more.

Mixto-- Tequila that blends Agave spirits with that of another sugar source, usually sugar cane or maize. Aka- "The Cheap Stuff"

Oro-- "Gold", usually reserved for Mixto Tequilas that have been artificially colored with caramel and artificial oak flavoring in order to mimic an oak-aged Tequila. This would be the cheap gold-colored stuff.

Joven-- "Young", meaning pretty much the same thing as blanco/silver. Whereas Tequila distillers prefer the other terms, Joven is a term adopted primarily by distillers of Sotol or Oaxaca Mezcal.

Tequila-- an Agave spirit distilled from the juice of cooked Blue Agave in a region of the Mexican state of Jalisco, surrounding the city of Tequila.

Mezcal-- Originally a term used for virtually all Agave spirits, the term now denotes specific spirits distilled in the Oaxaca region of Mexico. They are distilled from the Agave Americana (also called Agave Espadin) plant, which is different from the Agave Tequilana, or Blue Agave used in Tequila, but the basic structure of the plant is the same. Whereas the "heart" of the plant is cooked in an oven to make Tequila, Oaxaca Mezcal uses covered fire pits dug into the earth, giving the spirit a smoky flavor.

Sotol-- Distilled from a desert plant called "Desert Spoon", technically an evergreen shrub, not an Agave. But, the plant is harvested and distilled in a similar manner-- the flowering portions are removed, leaving the juicy, fibrous core. Sotol is produced primarily in the Chihuahua region of Mexico.

Note: I'll edit this to include more terms as questions arise

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Thats great news. I was a big tequila hound till I got sick of the prices. I had fun making pilgrimages to a few bars in LV and NYNY though over the years.

I think my favorite value pour in Ohio is Milagro Reposado. I got pretty burnt out on Anejo's and found myself gravitating more to Reposado's and Blancos.

Of course anything is better than the Two Fingers I cut my teeth on.
    I've noticed that a couple of former Mixtos are now 100% Agave Tequilas-- El Jimador, the budget companion brand to Herradura, comes to mind. So does Cazadores (the one with the stag on it). Both have gone upward in price a bit and are now in the mid-priced segment. El Jimador, in particular, used to be just a couple of bucks more than Sauza or Jose Cuervo.

Not that I'm complaining-- I don't buy mixtos, and I'm glad to see more affordable 100% Agave tequilas coming into the market.

Disciple

Lunazul repesado
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

I used to like Cazadores quite a bit. Then one day I was drinking the Reposado straight and got wild onions. And I tried it a few more times and the flavor persisted.

I used to drive tractor quite a bit and when you ran into a few acres where wild onions were persistent you got sick of the smell real quick.

I still think it's a great tequila for drinks. I just don't like it straight anymore.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    A quick glossary of Agave spirits terms:

Blanco/Plata/Platino/Cristal/Silver-- All terms used to denote a fresh, un-aged Tequila. Straight from the still, cut with water to proof, then bottled.

Reposado-- "Rested" in Oak for at least 2 months, but less than a year.

Anejo-- "Aged" in Oak, usually for a year or more.

Mixto-- Tequila that blends Agave spirits with that of another sugar source, usually sugar cane or maize. Aka- "The Cheap Stuff"

Oro-- "Gold", usually reserved for Mixto Tequilas that have been artificially colored with caramel and artificial oak flavoring in order to mimic an oak-aged Tequila. This would be the cheap gold-colored stuff.

Joven-- "Young", meaning pretty much the same thing as blanco/silver. Whereas Tequila distillers prefer the other terms, Joven is a term adopted primarily by distillers of Sotol or Oaxaca Mezcal.

Tequila-- an Agave spirit distilled from the juice of cooked Blue Agave in a region of the Mexican state of Jalisco, surrounding the city of Tequila.

Mezcal-- Originally a term used for virtually all Agave spirits, the term now denotes specific spirits distilled in the Oaxaca region of Mexico. They are distilled from the Agave Americana (also called Agave Espadin) plant, which is different from the Agave Tequilana, or Blue Agave used in Tequila, but the basic structure of the plant is the same. Whereas the "heart" of the plant is cooked in an oven to make Tequila, Oaxaca Mezcal uses covered fire pits dug into the earth, giving the spirit a smoky flavor.

Sotol-- Distilled from a desert plant called "Desert Spoon", technically an evergreen shrub, not an Agave. But, the plant is harvested and distilled in a similar manner-- the flowering portions are removed, leaving the juicy, fibrous core. Sotol is produced primarily in the Chihuahua region of Mexico.

Note: I'll edit this to include more terms as questions arise
    I hate to nitpick, but if we're going to talk about terms we should be exact, so just a couple points. Not ALL Plata/Blanco are "straight from the still" Gran Centenario and Herradura are two which are aged for a short period of time, can't recall exactly but 45 days for Herradura and 28 for GC rings a bell. Anejo is a MINIMUM of one year.

Honestly Mixtos aren't even worth talking about, you can find 100% agave for the same price just about everywhere now, and if you're starting with mixtos you're likely never going to appreciate tequila. I used to drink Cuervo Gold like water then burnt out on it and couldn't touch tequila for about 3 years. It's is similar enough to make you fear real tequila if you don't like it, but if you do, move along quickly and appreciate how good 100% agave is.

I recently bought a bottle of Milagro Silver because it was on sale for $23, but it definitely isn't at the top of my list; tried a little again tonight and needs a squeeze of lime.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Tequila is very sensitive to the agricultural cycle because the blue agave must be grown in the designated Tequila region and the plant takes 8 to 12 years to mature. A few years ago there was an agave shortage. Now there is an agave glut. So by all means, there is no reason to buy anything except 100% agave. I like El Jimador, 1800, and Hornitos, Herradura when I'm feeling flush. I've had a lot of the expensive ones. They're perfectly good too, but no better.

I like tequila but I just don't feel it has the nuances whiskey has. Same with rum. They're great, but whiskey and brandy are on a different level.

Trippah and Admin

I have grown an inerest and a taste for anejo tequilas. I have a Cuervo reserva and an 1921 special reserve queued up for this summer and I'm impatiently waiting for the warmer weather.

Where Cleveland is lacking in bourbon bars, there are a couple of tequila joints with very wide selections which makes sampling before buying very easy.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    ...I think my favorite value pour in Ohio is Milagro Reposado. I got pretty burnt out on Anejo's and found myself gravitating more to Reposado's and Blancos...
    I tend to gravitate toward anejo, but I've read several places that aficionados south of the border prefer more robust blanco.