Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

My e-mail to Woodford Reserve

Below is the transcript of an e-mail I recently sent to Labrot and Grahm regarding Woodford Reserve and the reply I recieved. Looks like were getting close.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Could you tell me if the bourbon now in the Woodford Reserve bottles is the bourbon distilled and aged at the Labrot and Grahm distillery? If not, when do you plan on releasing this bourbon, and will there be a special Announcement?
    Thank You!

[/QUOTE]

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to write.

No, the bourbon now in the Woodford Reserve bottles is not the bourbon that is distilled and aged at the Labrot and Grahm distillery.

Our pot-distilled bourbon should be on the market sometime this year, but we're not sure of the exact date yet. You can't rush the aging of good whiskey! We'll be sure to let our friends know when we have a better idea of the official release date.

Thanks again for writing

Judy Heslar
    WoodfordReserve.com

Enthusiast

Re: My e-mail to Woodford Reserve

Jeff,
    Thanks for posting this information. I've been wondering when they will finally release their pot-still bourbon. Yet another good thing to look forward to!

Bob

Advanced Taster

Last year at the bourbon festival we got to taste some of that bourbon from the pot stills... It will be intresting to see if they put that into woodford reserve (having the taste change), or if they create a new brand for it... Part of me would imagine they wouldn't want to mess with the Woodford reserve brand and that they would create another one, but then again I would imagine that it probably costs a lot of money to 'create' a new label and get it out there with marketing and whatnot... who knows... I just hope whatever it is that they don't end up sending all of the best stuff overseas with none sold here...

Guru

Here is what I personally hope they will do. Retain the current Woodford Reserve bottling as is and make a slightly different brand for the pot still product. I.e., keep at least the term "Woodford" in the new name, but make it just different enough to know that is something different.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What they have told people, myself included at that same session last September, has changed over time and gone back and forth. One minute it's going to be a new, pot-stilled brand, the next minute they're going to make it taste like current Woodford and bottle it as that. I don't think it's anything other than they haven't really decided and we won't know for sure what they're going to do until they do it. Actually, they may already be doing it. If they decide to use the pot-stilled whiskey in current Woodford (probably mixed with the whiskey made at ET), they may not announce that fact.

Enthusiast

The "retro-innovation" of creating pot still bourbon rquired so much cost, time and effort, that it would seem a shame for them to just use it to "enhance" a current brand. The extreme case, attempting to actually make it taste like the current Woodford Reserve, rather than a great new whiskey, seems like a total waste of this effort. Of course, they would still be able to use the experience as a spring board to create other new brands as well.

Guru

I was thinking the same thing. Just to blend in with something else, why bother?

I would like to see a pure pot still bourbon carrying the Woodford identity, but not the exact "Woodford Reserve Distillers Select" label. And I would like to see the original WR remain intact.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I would like to see a pure pot still bourbon carrying the Woodford identity, but not the exact "Woodford Reserve Distillers Select" label. And I would like to see the original WR remain intact.

[/QUOTE]
    I think that is what most people would also like. They had Mike Rose who is the Brand manager for WR and Chris Morris, at the time was a Master Distiller in Training but was on TV a few weeks ago and he is a Master Distiller now. Told us that they would exchange it for the Old Forester in WR. It could have been misinformation or maybe not. They aren't building any new warehouses on Glenns Creek yet and they are cranking out that humble 15 barrels a day period that they can make of the Pot Still. The one warehouse we were in looked full to me. They did say and this part I believe is true that they didn't see the brand taking off like it has, there is quite a demand for WR. I think when I first noticed it WR and KC was close on price point , now KC is down about 3 bucks and WR is up about 3 . ( Wathens is pushing 29 bucks, They are losing me , I absolutely love Wathens but I am not going pay that , and at one time I thought all I needed was a case of that and the hunt was over!) The other thing Chris told us was about the miniature Pot Stills that are for experimental work in Louisville, They have some nuggets stashed away, The problem ultimately will be too much rather than not enough of a good thing. I can't believe there isn't someone in the industry that would not want to best Buffalo Traces' success with GTS. Brown Forman are poised to try. Number of cases in a year isn't what wins this game. It's X number of bottles and a pre release sell out.Furthermore when something comes along( 4Roses Single Barrel?) that takes my number one spot away from my pal Georgy, I will shout it from the mountian tops!

Guru

I heard last year that we are not too far off from seeing Four Roses Single Barrel in the states... I cannot wait for that seeing as how good it is! But even more, which I know will not happen, I would really love to see their Super Premium available here. I say these companies need to begin sharing some more bourbon's with us that are otherwise unavailable on a limited release basis.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

As Pepcycle and I enjoyed a robust portion of FRSB, Master Distiller Jim Rutedge told us to expect a release date near August in the Golden Triangle of Ky ( Louisville , Lexington, Northern Ky) and to other parts of the state later as a test market. And I guess the test is can they keep up with demand, this is a fine drink, fine indeed. We hope they keep the present bottle as well!