Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Scotch to Bourbon?

I was just wondering how many of you on SB.com came to Bourbon from Scotch. Also, if you did make the jump from the "dark side" ... do you find yourself wanting Bourbon more and more over Scotch?

Myself, I was/am a Scotch drinker for 30 years. My move to Bourbon was for financial reasons. Scotch has just gotten beyond my ability to keep very many of bottles in the house. Even when I had the "extra" income to purchase Scotch regularly, I could never really afford much beyond 12 year old whisky... not that there is anything wrong with 12 year old whisky .

I decided to give Bourbon a try as a cheaper alternative to Scotch. I have to say that I'm very glad I did. I'm finding that I would rather sit down with a nice glass of Bourbon these days, than I would Scotch. I still drink Scotch... and I still love it, but I'm really drinking and appreciating Bourbon more and more. I own more Bourbon than I do Scotch at this time.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to find that Bourbon is starting to go the way of Scotch. It seems to be on the rise in price... and there are more Single Barrel and Limited Edition offerings coming out all the time. I would love to try Stagg, Pappy, WLW, etc... but I can't justify spending the money for them when I backed off of Scotch for the same reason.

Anyway, I just thought it would be nice to hear what brought some of you to Bourbon from Scotch.... or have you always enjoyed both?

Connoisseur

Re: Scotch to Bourbon?

For me, it wasn't Scotch but Tennessee Whiskey.

I've been a JD drinker for years. I'd occasionally try something
    else (at a friends house) but JD was my go to drink. A couple
    years back, a friend gave me a bottle of Michter's (it was maybe
    the US-1 Small Batch but I really don't recall) as a gift and the
    taste wasn't half bad. I did the requisite internet search and
    eventually ended up at a couple forums where I learned there
    was a whole lot more to whiskey than JD (technicalities aside.)

JD is still a staple around here but my horizons have been sufficiently
    expanded and my bourbon (& rum!) stockpile has grown to include
    some wonderful selections. I do consider what I've missed out on
    re: older stuff all these years but I have been able to try some
    "golden oldies" so it's not like I'm dwelling on the past.

It just occurred to me that I probably should pick up a bottle of
    Michter's since it was my "gateway" bourbon.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Connoisseur

I was also a long time scotch drinker who came to bourbon when I discovered the GT Stagg was 1/2 the price of much of the scotch I was longing to buy. I am finding lately that I am buying more scotch than the last few years as I seem to find the prices of scotches I like holding still or coming down while bourbons are going up. I probably split my drinking 50/50 between the 2 (with an occasional night for rum), but if pushed to decide between the 2, I would probably come down on the dark side.

Tom

Guru

Back before I was 21, I tried to keep a bottle of Scotch around because it was the cool thing to do.

After I turned 21, it didn't matter because I could go to the bar and get a glass of beer for 20 cents.

As a little time passed, if I didn't get beer in a bar it would be Scotch. Then I went on a business trip (business trips in the early seventies were punctuated with alcohol) and I rediscovered bourbon and have been drinking bourbon for nearly 40 years.

I have a few bottles of single malt Scotch in the pantry and enjoy them most watching the British Open. My wife enjoys them occasionally.

Virtuoso

Yeah, I drank Scotch first (and mostly Tequila before that). I now drink and buy about equal parts Scotch and American whiskey, with the occasional Irish or Japanese thrown in.

Connoisseur

I never really had a preference. I kind of started out with single malt scotch because I heard it was pretty good, but I was also fond of gold tequila, gold rum and the occasional mixed drink.

One day, I tried bourbon and Irish and decided I liked both of those as well. I drink MOSTLY bourbon these days, but still like my old scotches and good Irish.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Advanced Taster

I drank Scotch because I though I was supposed to like it. Men drink Scotch, right? Never mind that it didn't taste good...

Drinking something as delicious as bourbon (and I'll include Dickel here as well) feels almost like cheating.
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Virtuoso

Never have been a scotch drinker but always a bourbon drinker. I suspect more folks transition from scotch to bourbon then from bourbon to scotch?? I have several friends who were avid scotch drinkers that now focus primarily on bourbon.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Never have been a scotch drinker but always a bourbon drinker. I suspect more folks transition from scotch to bourbon then from bourbon to scotch?? I have several friends who were avid scotch drinkers that now focus primarily on bourbon.....
    I would agree with this. Had I not cut my whisk(e)y teeth on Scotch (thank you Uncle David ), I may have been a Bourbon drinker from the start. Scotch will always be first in my heart, but I can honestly say that Bourbon is every bit as good... just different.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I drank Scotch because I though I was supposed to like it. Men drink Scotch, right? Never mind that it didn't taste good...

Drinking something as delicious as bourbon (and I'll include Dickel here as well) feels almost like cheating.
    I like Dickel too... great stuff for the price.

"Never mind that it didn't taste good"? I would beg to differ... Scotch is wonderfull stuff... and taste is very subjective.