Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Does anyone else mix bourbon regularly?...

Hello. My name in Tim, and I used to only drink bourbon straight.
    I spent a lot of money doing it; I made a lot of friends and acquaintances; I drank a lot of significant bottlings. I don't regret it.
    Still, I couldn't keep it up. My resources were limited, both by income and attitude. Eventually, I had to admit it: I like bourbon, even mixed with cola or ginger ale (diet versions, usually).
    It was hard to break the 'purist' habit, as both myself and others had come to view me as somewhat accomplished at tasting straight bourbon. I can still 'call' a flavor, in a pinch. But, it's a lot of trouble. Easier to 'call' the ginger ale or cola.
    I still don't drink before 5 p.m. (weekends, especially Sundays, excepted). I don't drink if I expect to drive (or ride the motorcycle). I don't drive if I've had more than a modicum of drink. But -- I'll admit it! -- I enjoy the buzz!
    Frankly, it's easier to down a good amount of bourbon with an auxiliary (if I spelled THAT correctly, I'm not drunk yet) cover. Ginger ale for rye, cola for wheat!
    I don't want to give up the society and experiences I've enjoyed being a purist. But, I'm also not going to pursue 'speciality' anymore.
    Is there a place for me in the bourbon encyclopedia? I -- if not the world -- wonder.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Re: Does anyone else mix bourbon regularly?...

Tim

I think your ok. While I drink bourbon neat, a lot of time I will add ice or cola depending how I feel. We are all linked together by a love of bourbon and we are all different. Do what makes you feel good.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Advanced Taster

I don't really mix bourbon at all right now. That is probably mostly because I just really got into it seriously in the past 4 months and I am excited to try lots of new ones. I've had plenty of jack and coke and crown and ginger ale's in my lifetime though. I personally wouldn't use any decent bourbon to make a mixed drink but that's just me. I prefer bourbon neat(or an old fashioned) so to me that would be a waste of it. When it comes down to it though it's your money and you're the one that has to drink it so drink it how you want.

I wouldn't suggest going to someone elses house and asking if they have any coke to add to the Pappy 23 they just poured you though.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Hello. My name in Tim, and I used to only drink bourbon straight.
    I spent a lot of money doing it; I made a lot of friends and acquaintances; I drank a lot of significant bottlings. I don't regret it.
    Still, I couldn't keep it up. My resources were limited, both by income and attitude. Eventually, I had to admit it: I like bourbon, even mixed with cola or ginger ale (diet versions, usually).
    It was hard to break the 'purist' habit, as both myself and others had come to view me as somewhat accomplished at tasting straight bourbon. I can still 'call' a flavor, in a pinch. But, it's a lot of trouble. Easier to 'call' the ginger ale or cola.
    I still don't drink before 5 p.m. (weekends, especially Sundays, excepted). I don't drink if I expect to drive (or ride the motorcycle). I don't drive if I've had more than a modicum of drink. But -- I'll admit it! -- I enjoy the buzz!
    Frankly, it's easier to down a good amount of bourbon with an auxiliary (if I spelled THAT correctly, I'm not drunk yet) cover. Ginger ale for rye, cola for wheat!
    I don't want to give up the society and experiences I've enjoyed being a purist. But, I'm also not going to pursue 'speciality' anymore.
    Is there a place for me in the bourbon encyclopedia? I -- if not the world -- wonder.
    A man of your bourbon acumen can call his shots anyway he desires. For me, 90% is drunk straight but about twice a week and always before dinner, love to mix some bourbon and diet Ginger with lots of ice. My mixing bourbons are the BIB's from Bartons or Heaven Hill and if splurging Knob Creek. No cola ever. Once in a while a dash or two of bitters.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Taster

If I mix it is only a teaspoon of water or so or an ice cube 95%of the time just neat

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I grew up and live in the country that is the biggest consumer of bourbon RTD's (Pre Mix cans & bottles eg Jim Beam and Cola) in the world..... Of course I mix bourbon with Coke
    I'd rekon 95 out 100 Australians who claim to be 'bourbon drinkers' are really saying they drink Jim Beam and Cola or Wild Turkey and Cola from a can or glass stubbie.

I cannot stand whiskey (any kind) and cola, the only time I mix bourbon or rye is with Disaronno which really do enjoy as I think they go well together; otherwise it is straight or occasionally with some ice. Cola and Captain Morgan is fine, but keep my whiskey out of it.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 05-10-2011 at 07:50.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Apprentice

I've been trying to drink up my Bulleit with orange juice or by making mint juleps.
    Normally I will always drink neat, but I do enjoy the bourbon and juice. They seem to go well together!

Advanced Taster

I've never been a big fan of bourbon and cola. I think it mixes much better with the likes of ginger ale or 7up. I can kind of understand the OP's situation. Sometimes on the weekends hanging out with friends (who are not bourbon people) I don't mind mixing because the palate can't keep up. And in those situations, I'm not wanting to sit and contemplate tastes and give the bourbon it's due diligence. IMO ginger ale still preserves the taste of the bourbon instead of covering it up.

If I'm at home, I'll make manhattans, mint juleps, old fashions, etc to change things up. My biggest problem with all of this is trying to decide what bourbon to mix or include in cocktails. I tend to feel guilty mixing anything I really enjoy neat. Most of the time I use EW Black label. Interested to hear what other people use.
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Eventually, I had to admit it: I like bourbon, even mixed with cola or ginger ale (diet versions, usually).
    The only time I mix is in the fall, when I make my 'eggnog blend' (equal parts bourbon, rum and brandy) to add to plain eggnog (or to perk up alcoholic eggnog).

Other than that, I couldn't bear to dilute my bourbon. I see nothing wrong with anyone else doing so, I just prefer mine neat.

Also, I think the word you are looking for is 'heretic'.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request