Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Boston bourbon bar/pub

So I am heading to Boston in less than a month for a wedding. Friday night a few of us will be going out and I'm looking for a good bourbon bar/speakeasy to start the night off. After that we are looking for a dive Irish pub type place where we can get bar food and drink Guinness til it's time to go to sleep.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I did a thread like this for Nashville and ended up going to one of the coolest bars I've ever been to in my life. Hopefully I will have similar success with this thread.

Guru

Re: Boston bourbon bar/pub

I don't know anything about bars in the area but if you can get away to go to Julios Liquors I would highly recommend it.

140 Turnpike Rd
    Westborough, MA 01581
    http://www.juliosliquors.com/
    ovh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I don't know anything about bars in the area but if you can get away to go to Julios Liquors I would highly recommend it.

140 Turnpike Rd
    Westborough, MA 01581
    http://www.juliosliquors.com/
    Agree - Julio's is a great place and has a great selection.

Westborough is about 30-35 mi. due west of Boston, and if you try to do this on a Friday during rush hour be prepared for a 50-60 minute drive one-way. I suggest doing it on Saturday morning if you can or you'll spend a good bit of your time sucking fumes on the Pike...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    So I am heading to Boston in less than a month for a wedding. Friday night a few of us will be going out and I'm looking for a good bourbon bar/speakeasy to start the night off. After that we are looking for a dive Irish pub type place where we can get bar food and drink Guinness til it's time to go to sleep.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I did a thread like this for Nashville and ended up going to one of the coolest bars I've ever been to in my life. Hopefully I will have similar success with this thread.
    For Irish bars, try Mr. Dooley's on Broad St or The Black Rose just off Faneuil Hall.

If you want a bit of history, head over to Charlestown and go to the Warren Tavern - Paul Revere's watering hole.

Stoddard's on Temple Place in Downtown Crossing has good food and a great beer selection - I think one of the nicest mahogany bars in the city...

Advanced Taster

Thanks. Mr. Dooley's seems like a great place to wrap things up at because it's right by the hotel I will be staying at.

Any bars downtown w/ a good bourbon selection?

Advanced Taster

Has anyone been here?

http://www.deepellum-boston.com/#about

It looks like they have some pretty good bourbon and rye priced really reasonably.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    Has anyone been here?

http://www.deepellum-boston.com/#about

It looks like they have some pretty good bourbon and rye priced really reasonably.
    Haven't been there, but Allston is out of the city - about 5-6 miles. If you are looking for bourbon, try the Citizen's Public House and Oyster Bar near Fenway Park. It's on Boylston. They have a pretty extensive bourbon selection and you won't have to venture out of the city.

If you like a cigar, try Stanza dei Sigari in the North End - they mostly hvae the widely available bourbons, but have nice cigars and a good single malt selection. It's in the Italian section of the city. Also has restaurants and coffee/desert places ... can get crowded on a Sat. night, but most places in Boston are going to be that way on a weekend.

Taster

I used to live near Deep Ellum and still try to get back when I can. It's a fantastic bar for food, beer, cocktails, and apparently whiskey too (I had no idea they had that kind of selection!). Pappy 20 for 16 bucks is an unbelievable price in Boston. Yeah, Allston is a bit out of the way but it shows in those prices. The bar is also run by very, very good people who are friendly, enthusiastic, and put a lot of love into what they do.

Taster

Also, DE is not 5-6 miles out of the city--it's about 2 miles from Kenmore Square, easily accessed by train or bus and is about as far off the green line as Citizen is (I've been meaning to get over to Citizen but if the Sox are in town, don't even bother).

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CADMixes View Post
    Also, DE is not 5-6 miles out of the city--it's about 2 miles from Kenmore Square ...
    Sorry - should have been more accurate. If your hotel is near Mr. Dooley's (near Financial district), DE is about 5-6 miles from there...