Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Tracking Spreadsheet/Log

I am looking to start a spreadsheet for myself. This file will contain distilleries, their different products, mashbills, proof, age, my tasting notes, ect. I was wondering if anyone had something I could leverage? I don't want to step on any toes or take advantage of someones labor of love, just wanted to get a starting point. I will end up putting current products and non-production products. Being new, The non-production stuff will give me starting points on doing some history reviews of these products to learn more about all things bourbon. Any help will be appreciated, but if not no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 12-09-2011 at 19:56.

Disciple

Re: Tracking Spreadsheet/Log

Won't help with the format, but this thread will give a lot of the info you might wish to log:

http://straightbourbon.com/forums/sh...t=whiskey+tree

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I am looking to start a spreadsheet for myself. This file will contain distilleries, their different products, mashbills, proof, age, my tasting notes, ect. I was wondering if anyone had something I could leverage? I don't want to step on any toes or take advantage of someones labor of love, just wanted to get a starting point. I will end up putting current products and non-production products. Being new, The non-production stuff will give me starting points on doing some history reviews of these products to learn more about all things bourbon. Any help will be appreciated, but if not no worries.

There are two or three older threads about that. Try using the search function.

Here's one to get you started. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...el+spreadsheet

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

If anyone needs help creating a relational database 'o bourbon, I can certainly help. It would be cool to query bourbons based on year, proof, distillery, mashbill, etc. Say I wanted to see all wheaters that are barrel proof...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I am looking to start a spreadsheet for myself. This file will contain distilleries, their different products, mashbills, proof, age, my tasting notes, ect.
    A database would be a lot more maintainable than a spreadsheet, and much more effective to search.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Apprentice

I use the template on Bento that Adam from LA Whiskey Society created, as Fishnbowljoe mentioned. It is easy to use, is customizable, and works on iOS devices. It also exports to Excel. I use it on my Mac and I really like it. Here's a direct link.
    http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com/page.php?id=45

Connoisseur
    Thanks to everyone for the info. Will put it to good use.

Guru

Microsoft Access creates a killer database for Bourbon.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

I agree, Access would be preferable to Excel. That said, I could throw something together in SQL Server. The benefit to this would be the mods could get the bourbon database area up and running if they can integrate this into the site. The files would also be stored in a central location so there would not be outdated/incorrect versions of a database floating around out there.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I agree, Access would be preferable to Excel. That said, I could throw something together in SQL Server. The benefit to this would be the mods could get the bourbon database area up and running if they can integrate this into the site. The files would also be stored in a central location so there would not be outdated/incorrect versions of a database floating around out there.
    LostBottle, if you need that SQL database replicated to Postgres, you just let me know.