Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Whats with the Honey

And how 'bout the Cherries popping all over?* First Red Stag and now Evan Williams. Sure hope that his isn't the start of a trend...flavored Bourbons a la Vodka.

* Sorry. Never could resist a bad pun.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Novice

I think Wild Turkey's honey/bourbon liqueur has been around longer than I have, though it's been made over in the last couple years as American Honey which brought the proof up. There do appear to be a handful of Johnny-come-lately additions to the honey/bourbon game.

I've got a bottle of the American Honey in the freezer and have tasted the Jack Daniels variety. Both are good for what they are, but I don't think any of them are meant to replace real bourbon.

I visited a friend this past weekend that I've never seen drink so much as a cocktail, much less anything neat or on the rocks. He's a mixer (Canadian + Coke or 7&7) or beer drinker only. He had been given a 50ml sample of Seagram's Stone Cherry at the liquor store and sipped his way through the whole thing neat. When he was finished I made him a Manhattan with bourbon that he also finished.

It may be a slow road, but I think he's making progress.

Taster

I almost bought a bottle of the EW honey reserve today. It sounds interesting and I'd like to try it at some point. The bread pudding idea sounds great. Also, EW is running a promo on their cherry and honey varieties. $10 off a 1.75L or 2 750ml / $5 off one 750ml. It might be worth it. The honey could make an interesting sour.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Photodudems View Post
    I almost bought a bottle of the EW honey reserve today. It sounds interesting and I'd like to try it at some point. The bread pudding idea sounds great. Also, EW is running a promo on their cherry and honey varieties. $10 off a 1.75L or 2 750ml / $5 off one 750ml. It might be worth it. The honey could make an interesting sour.
    Why do you think they are offering $5.00 off a 750 ml? Could it be that it sucks and they are trying to get rid of it?

I tried Red Stag... just because. It was the most vile stuff I have ever tried to get down my gullet!

I'll pass on all the honey and cherry offerings, from here on out.

Advanced Taster

I always feared the day that they would mess with my bourbon with these damn flavors. Now that it has started, it will only get worse.
    "It's supposed to taste like bourbon. If it tastes like anythin' else, you got a problem." - Parker Beam

Enthusiast

I've never understood the flavored bourbon thing or flavored vodka. I guess there is a market for them but it's not me. I will never have any in my liquor cabinet.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Virtuoso

I don't think it's anything more than trying to expand their market. Americans generally have a sweet tooth; get them to try it and some percentage will eventually migrate to straight bourbon. I'd guess it is also a good way to utilize some spirit that didn't come out quite right ... blend in a little sweetener to cover any hard edges...
    Mark

Disciple

I bought the EW Honey when it came out for $5 after rebate and still paid too much -- that scared me off their Cherry (speaking as the only member of SB.com who admits to liking Red Stag!)

I tries a nip of the JD Tennessee Honey at a 4th of July party -- better than the Evan Williams but way too sweet for me. The original WT Wild Honey in the genie bottle is the only one I could really stomach.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    I bought the EW Honey when it came out for $5 after rebate and still paid too much -- that scared me off their Cherry (speaking as the only member of SB.com who admits to liking Red Stag!)
    Nah, there's more of us out there that like it than you might think I like Red Stag and the various honey products for what they are, an alternative to drinking bourbon rather than replacing it So while I prefer bourbon, I will drink these 'blended products' if the mood is right.
    Looking at the bigger picture, if they help bring more drinkers into the bourbon world, that can only be a good thing.

Guru

New on the Michigan supplementary liquor list for Jan 1: Red Stag Honey Tea. Also Red Stag Spiced, just in time for the holidays.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog