Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Jack's New Look.

I doubt few people actually read many of the words on any label other than the proof statement. JD has a "shelf" look that can be picked out from a distance where one can't even read the words..... they have the image.. the words (other than the legal requirements) are just window dressing.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

I think the new label cheapens the look of the package. It is like they cheapened the whiskey when it dropped to 80 proof and now they bare minimum the label, all while steadily raising the price!

Thomas

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I think the new label cheapens the look of the package. It is like they cheapened the whiskey when it dropped to 80 proof and now they bare minimum the label, all while steadily raising the price!

Thomas
    Yep. JD wasn't half bad back in the day... now, I don't care for it at all. The SB expression not bad at all, though.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post

Thomas
    And pairing that with removing "quality" from the label seems like an acknowledgement. Why would they be so honest? I have never met a marketing director that would remove something like "quality" without replacing it with a bigger claim, like "now even better"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by marna View Post
    And pairing that with removing "quality" from the label seems like an acknowledgement. Why would they be so honest? I have never met a marketing director that would remove something like "quality" without replacing it with a bigger claim, like "now even better"
    "Quality & Craftsmanship Since 1866" is on the right, vertical.

IMO, the changes to the bottle are more drastic than the changes to the label.

Not that any of this matters to me, I don't think I've bought a bottle of JD in the 30+ years I've been drinking whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Any news on whether the green label version will be changed in a similar way?

I tasted some recently and it seemed less mature than the black label, with more corn character. But it was not bad and would make a great mint julep or whiskey sour.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-23-2011 at 07:15.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Any news on whether the green label version will be changed in a similar way?

I tasted some recently and it seemed less mature than the black label, with more corn character. But it was not bad and would make a great mint julep or whiskey sour.

Gary
    The Green Label will get the same bottle change once the current bottle is exhausted....same goes for the Tennessee Honey.

The green label is a less mature whiskey. they pick the slower aging barrels from the bottom floors and center of the warehouses to use for the GL.

I came up with an excellent vatting: 1 part each Jack Green, Early Times Bourbon and Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I came up with an excellent vatting: 1 part each Jack Green, Early Times Bourbon and Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon.

Gary
    Excellent for what?

I don't understand the question.

Gary