Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

For Fun: What is your best pour in a bar

Prior to last night I thought it was the Maker's 46 introduction party in Charlotte. They were serving 46 over ice in the dipped 11 oz glasses. I said no ice so the girl proceeded to fill the glass up for $7. I guess she had been told to fill the glass up.

Then last night I went to a preshow party for the Kenny Chesney concert. I ordered Maker's Mark neat but tipped generously a couple of times. When It was time to go to the concert I told her I needed one for the road. She grabbed a 16 oz plastic cup that was used for beer and filled it up neat for $6. When I thanked her she said I took care of her so she would take care of me.

I really enjoyed the concert sipping the Maker's because it looked like coke and no one even asked me about it.

It pays to tip!

What's your best story?

Disciple

Re: For Fun: What is your best pour in a bar

My brother has spent a lot of time in bars in the area. Every time I go out with him I never pay for a drink, and when I ask for a glass of bourbon I usually end up with a pint glass filled to the brim neat.

And I wonder how he's had 5 DUIs....actually, I don't.

I was on vacation in Florida last year. We decided to stop at a nice lounge/restaurant on the way home from dinner to have a drink or two, and to listen to the singer they had. They had a bottle of WTKS pewter top on the shelf. Not much left in it. The lady bar tending said it was the last one they had. She gave me a nice pour in a rocks glass with a couple of cubes. Only $6. I gave her a $10 and told her to keep the change. I was almost finished when she came up and emptied the rest of the bottle in my glass. It was about 3/4 of a glass. I started to reach for my wallet. She just smiled and said it was on her, and besides it was one more bottle not cluttering the back bar. I gave her another $5 anyway. Like Enoch said, it pays to tip. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Was at Bourbon in DC last week. Had an AAA, two special Willet bottlings, Michters Rye, Vintage 21yr & a Van Winkle 12yr Rye...all for under $50.

And, oh yeah, the bill included dinner.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Virtuoso

When I was a Freshman in high school I went on a school overnight field trip for the technology club I was in. As a joke I ordered a spiked lemonade. Of course everyone at the table (including the teachers) knew it was a joke. But low and behold I ended up with a very stout drink. The tap showed up as regular lemonade. Looking back I can't believe the waiter risked his job for a joke. But never-the-less it was the best deal on a mixed drink I have ever had.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Virtuoso

The bars around my spot on the planet don't have much in the way of Bourbon. Usually, the best I can get is WT 101. Occasionally, MM is available... and I still opt for the WT.

Enthusiast

Having spent 27 years in law enforcement ,now retired, I don't frequent bars in my area. I run into too many folks for whom I am not on their Christmas card list. Besides their bourbon selection sucks.
    Last edited by G.H.Adams; 05-20-2011 at 20:43.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Was at Bourbon in DC last week. Had an AAA, two special Willet bottlings, Michters Rye, Vintage 21yr & a Van Winkle 12yr Rye...all for under $50.

Bourbon is a tough spot to beat in DC.... at most places that would even have those pours you would be at least 3x what you paid. Did they have the Willett 18YO on the shelf yet?
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post

The cool thing about Bourbon in DC is that they totally respect actual bourbon tasters, and (many of em) like actually discussing bourbon. I bet the people who roll in there and say "gimme the blue label!" find themselves with a bad pour of red.

Enthusiast

I believe the 18yr Willett was there.

I met with the GM, Matt, and a bartender named Chad, both of whom were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I got the distinct impression that I had passed the "Passionate or Poser?" test, and they took very good care of me.

The same thing happened when at Delilah's in Chicago a few weeks back. Went in with a colleague and ordered a beer for her and a Bourbon for me. The total came to $17. I opened a tab, and through the course of two hours we were there had another three tastes (and two more beers for my friend). As the bartender warmed up to us, we were talking Bourbon. The bar tab came to $56...you do the math.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY