Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Virtuoso

Re: For Fun: What is your best pour in a bar

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My most expensive pour was Macallan 30 year at Reata Rooftop Bar in Ft. Worth. I should have asked the price but they were advertising Happy Hour. When the bill came it was $113 for the shot. I have no idea what a bottle costs but I had figured maybe $30 or so for the shot. I ALWAYS ask now.
    Being as I'm an avid Scotch drinker... what did you think of it? I will NEVER taste a 30 year old Macallan.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    About 6 years ago I had a Pappy 20yo for $9.00 at The Tavern in Bardstown.
    A year later it went up to $9.50.
    $13 last fall :-(

My best pour was just a couple of years ago in Champaign, IL while there on a business trip. I saw the little horse tucked back in amongst some bottles in a beer bar. I asked how much for a pour of Blanton's? The bartender's response was "what's that?". I pointed out the bottle. He looked at it like he'd never seen it before and said he'd have to ask his manager and promptly disappeared. After about five minutes he came back and said it would be $4. I readily said I'd have one. Imagine my surprise when he grabbed a pint glass and filled it about 3/4 of the way and then asked if I wanted ice. I said no thanks and was never more happy to be cabbing it that night.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Being as I'm an avid Scotch drinker... what did you think of it? I will NEVER taste a 30 year old Macallan.
    I'm not an avid scotch drinker and can honestly say I would never have tasted it either had I known the price first. It was the blue oak bottle not the sherry one. I have had a bottle of 12 year and the various popular Glens and can honestly say my favorite is the 12. The thirty is too intense for me but I really don't know enough to make an honest evaluation. I got it because it was on the bar which I had never seen and figured it was my one chance to try it. I did joke to the bar tender that I bet he didn't sell much and he said about a bottle a week, often a whole bottle at a time to businessmen entertaining prospective clients.

Advanced Taster

When bars would buy in Louis XIII, we used to go crack the bottle open and buy the first couple of pours out of it as a way to say thanks. That was some of the best alcohol that I have ever tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by 2highcal View Post
    My best pour in a bar was @ Liberty Bar in Seattle GT Stagg and a sample of an old IW Samuels and a taste of Angels Envy. Thank you they have the best bourbon selection I have seen albeit I do not go out and drink much

You have been to the whiskey mecca of Seattle! Andrew, owner of Liberty, is the guy who single handedly got me into bourbon....I went there knowing nada, and he grabbed 4 solid choices and gave me tastes of each on the house, and I wound up having a Ezra B 12 year single barrel and Pappy 20...and the world was a different place.

If you are on this board, and read this message, when you go to Seattle, you HAVE to go to Liberty.

The last time I was there, I got a 2 oz pour of SW Old Fitzgerald from either the late 40's or early 50's....for $12, and a nice free taste of the Old Rip 23 in the swanky bottle.......God, I miss that place.