Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Any progress reports for CMDK(Medley)?

So I was reading through an old thread Chuck posted that has been closed almost 2 years ago.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ley+distillery

Any news on their progress so far either good or bad? Their website gives a little bit of info on their plans but nothing really in terms of any progress they are making. I was just hoping that maybe Chuck or someone else had been back down or talked to the distillery manager and gotten some details on how things are coming along. It would be very cool to see a piece of bourbon history revived and have their business take off and excel in the modern day market.

Here is their website for those interested:

http://www.cmdistillerskentucky.com/Operations.html

Here is a short news story on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLsk9bTTj_Q

Virtuoso

Re: Any progress reports for CMDK(Medley)?

Thanks for doing a little footwork to put info together.

The news piece from 2009 talks of "distilling this fall" but I haven't heard of them starting up the stills yet. I drove by the site on a mid-week day last month and didn't see any obvious distilling activity, but it looked like an agricultural chemical supply company was moving a lot of product through what looked like it would be the bottling hall.

Of course, half the parking lot was underwater that day, so maybe I shouldn't draw conclusions.

Roger

Trippah and Admin

If the rumors are true that Angostura is shopping LDI around to buyers, I bet that CMDK is either on the block or the refurb plans are on hold.
    Last edited by callmeox; 05-23-2011 at 19:01. Reason: cleaned up a realllllllly awkward sentence
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

That's what I think, too. If the company ran into financial problems and needs cash, then they aren't going to be putting any into a distillery that won't have a product to sell for four years.

OK, maybe they could sell white dog earlier.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Angostura is owned by CL Financial. If you Google it, the first suggested additional search term that comes up is "collapse." It is/was a very large (meaning rich) financial services company in Trinidad and Tobago. It collapsed in the 2008 financial crises. All of its plans were based on having a lot of money to invest in LDI, CMDK, and other facilities and interests. As it is, they can't come up with enough cash to pay the supplier who makes the bottles for Angostura bitters. (Hence last's year's shortage.) Both LDI and CMDK are for sale.

Advanced Taster

Thanks Chuck, that's the kind of big news update I was looking for. Just sucks it had to be bad news.

I maybe wrong on this but hasn't Angostura been taken over by the government of Trinidad and Tabago?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Yes, in that its parent company, CL Financial, was nationalized, but the latest news is that they're trying to figure out a way to give it back to the Duprey family.

CL is an insurance company. Insurance companies invest their reserves. That's universal. But CL is unusual in 'investing' its money by buying and running businesses like Angostura. It owns something like 30 companies that between them own 72 businesses. They're in lots of other things besides alcohol.

Disciple

Maybe this is old news, but has anyone heard of any recent activity in Owensboro?

Connoisseur

Last i heard, was everything was still on hold. Still a lot of work left to do also.