Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Any recent visits to these duty free stores?

Am on my way to France soon, & will be passing through LGA & BOS on my outbound, CDG & JFK on the return. Has anyone recently been through the duty free at any of these airports? Is so, any good Bourbon finds?
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: Any recent visits to these duty free stores?

You might run into Jim Beam Signature 6 grain in Europe/UK duty free stores. It's a 1 litre bottle shapped similar to Knob Creek.

I haven't been to the UK since 2004, but from memory their market has a Barrel Proof Blantons and some Wild Turkey you might not find in the US...

Enthusiast

Pro Tip: there are some serious dusties in Europe.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Advanced Taster

Plenty of decent scotches in the duty free sections at heathrow and charles de gaul but little in the way of bourbon when I last went through, You'll find various incarnations of JD, silver select single barrel etc. I'd expect to see woodford reserve and makers mark at best if i'm honest, the Bourbon market over here is very small.
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Enthusiast

You know, I've always browsed duty free stores on my way back to the U.S., never really looked on my way out. Am I wrong in thinking that duty frees in the U.S. would have a pretty good selection?
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    You know, I've always browsed duty free stores on my way back to the U.S., never really looked on my way out. Am I wrong in thinking that duty frees in the U.S. would have a pretty good selection?
    In my experience our duty free offerings are pretty week unless it's outside the CONUS. Puerto Rico, and USVI have some decent offerings.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

wripvanwrinkle

My last stop at JFK, the duty free shop by the BA lounge had Wild Turkey 8 year.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    In my experience our duty free offerings are pretty week unless it's outside the CONUS. Puerto Rico, and USVI have some decent offerings.
    Which - at least to me - defies reason. The whole idea of a duty free INSIDE the U.S. is to incentivize outbound travelers to purchase the best products from the U.S. to bring to friends & family abroad.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    Which - at least to me - defies reason. The whole idea of a duty free INSIDE the U.S. is to incentivize outbound travelers to purchase the best products from the U.S. to bring to friends & family abroad.
    I completely agree. For the most part I don't see a lot of bourbon or rye selection in duty free period. I usually just buy scotch because american whiskey selections are weak at best.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Enthusiast

I don't know about duty free any more. It used to be cheap enough to justify the hastle of having to drag a bottle with you through customs, etc Now the prices are more or less in line with what you can find outside the airport. I paid attention to this at Frankort A.M., Germany the last time I was there, in 2009. If you take the Metro into the city center you will find liquor and Cuban cigars selling right at the Hauptbahnhoff with prices identical to be found at the duty free in the flughaven. In fact there is a fantastic tobacconist right on ground level near the main entrance. I also checked duty free prices while crossing into Poland via autobahn at Gorlitz (Polish side) and found no real bargains either.