Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 8/10: Weller Centennial

Imagine my surprise when I was reviewing past BOTM's and realized that Weller Centennial hadn't been BOTM yet. Being a lover of all things Weller, I just had to fix that. I'm pretty sure we'll get a lot of posts this month. I know this is one of those "unique" bourbons a lot of you like, or at the very least will have something to say about it.

My thoughts on Weller Centennial; Well, what can I say? A lot of you know of my fondness of all Weller products. Centennial is right up there at the top of my list. Through the kindness and generosity of some fellow members, and a little luck while dusty hunting, I've been fortunate enough to taste six or seven different bottlings of this wonderful bourbon. IMHO, there's not a bad one in the bunch. I'm sure that most everyone will agree with me when I say that it's really too bad that this bourbon is no longer in production.

So, for the upcoming dog days of August, let's quench our thirst with, and post our thoughts about good ol' Weller Centennial. Cheers y'all. Joe

PS. FWIW, I just had to have a pour of Centennial while composing this post. I say again, it's really too bad this one isn't made any more.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Re: BOTM 8/10: Weller Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    IMHO, there's not a bad one in the bunch. I'm sure that most everyone will agree with me when I say that it's really too bad that this bourbon is no longer in production.
    I'LL SAY IT AGAIN ONLY LOUDER! Louisville and even Frankfort bottlings are some of my favorite bourbons I've had the pleasure of drinking. 100 proof and 10 years of age seems to be a real sweet spot with wheaters and of course all the other elements that made these so special. Would current Weller 12 be as good at 100 proof? Or ORVW 10 year at 100 proof instead of 107 proof? Or is it just the SW factor of even the United Distillers late run Ed Foote distilled juice (which may not even be in the Frankfort bottles which I still really enjoy)? I don't know but I sure wish it was still available as these taste.

Guru

What more can be said about WL Weller Cetennial that hasn't been said before..
    BT flushed this brand down the toilet for,... well,... I don't know, maybe they had a reason.
    It is becoming a ledgend and has been out of production for four years? Or five.
    Last time I bought any off the shelf here in MI I think it was $38.00 now some eBay sellers have it $150.00.
    I have had several variations of retailers "Selected By" bottles and from both the Louisville and Frankfort distilleries.
    The best one I have given the Holy Grail status and that was selected by Julio's Liquors in MA.
    It is actually a 12yo, the bottle they selected a year or two prior was a 14yo, I missed out on that one.
    It seems to me that one of the top magazines gave WLW Cen a 98 rating, I haven't seen a rating that high since.
    ovh

Disciple

Sad to say, I've never been able to lay my hands, or my lips for that matter, on a bottle.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Sad to say, I've never been able to lay my hands, or my lips for that matter, on a bottle.
    That makes 2 of us...

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    That makes 2 of us...
    Make that 3 - the only Weller I see with any regularity is Antique. Sometimes I'll see the BTAC Weller, and I once saw Special Reserve in NYC. Never seen Centennial or the 12 y.o.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Apprentice

Make it four -- I can find Reserve, 12-year and Antique, but even though I know Centennial has been gone for a while, none of the retailers I talk to even remember having it.
    "Bourbon makes me happy." - T.T.

Disciple

I used to know a shop with a decent-sized stash of dusty-ish Frankfort bottles. I might have to see what they still have and set up some trades!
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Tippler View Post
    Make it four -- I can find Reserve, 12-year and Antique, but even though I know Centennial has been gone for a while, none of the retailers I talk to even remember having it.
    I don't know what part of the Bay Area you're in, but there's a fairly low level in this area of bourbon knowledge amongst retailers. Plus, Fitz and Weller have never been the major labels that they are in, say, Texas. Most local small retailers didn't grow up with any sort of cocktail culture, much less a bourbon culture.

If you want someone who talks bourbon and rye, go see our friend Ed at Ledger's Liquor in Berkeley. He networks with enthusiasts like us to be the first with new and most interesting products to stock, as well as collaborating on barrel purchases.

Roger

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    I used to know a shop with a decent-sized stash of dusty-ish Frankfort bottles. I might have to see what they still have and set up some trades!

Ahem.... (*cough Cough....) OVER HERE !!!!
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.