Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Novice

Re: BOTM 6/11: Very Special Old Fitzgerald

Went searching for this, no love.

Noob question, is there a chart on any site that details distribution by company or anything along those lines? It would be nice to know what is actually distributed in this state to hunt for.
    Jeff / KC by way of CT.

Guru

IMO, the current version is just (sigh) "OK". After tastng and loving the recent PHC release, I have to ask again: why doesn't HH release a wheater worthy of the OF brand?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Cracked a bottle last night, and was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's because my expectations were so low. I found it to show its age in a good way...offering nice layers of complexity, but the intensity of those layers left me wanting.

While it's not even a shadow of the originals, it was an enjoyable dram. That said, it pushes the limit of price vs. quality. I'll always have a bottle on my bar, though.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Disciple

I've been surprised by the VSOF as well. I've never had the original, but I thought that this wouldn't be any good after trying the current OF 1849. I think the VSOF is a decent pour that I've gone back to a couple of times. I agree with John B's comment above though - why hasn't HH released a better wheater yet? Hopefully the PHC 2010 is a sign of things to come...
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    I've been surprised by the VSOF as well. I've never had the original, but I thought that this wouldn't be any good after trying the current OF 1849. I think the VSOF is a decent pour that I've gone back to a couple of times. I agree with John B's comment above though - why hasn't HH released a better wheater yet? Hopefully the PHC 2010 is a sign of things to come...
    HH is also working on another wheater with the Fitzgerald name. Fingers crossed.

Enthusiast

That can't come soon enough for me.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Connoisseur

I found some VSOF in Louisville. It cost $31.39 plus tax. As you might expect; it's more red colored than the B.I.B. version. This whiskey goes down very easily. It doesn't have as much carmel and vanilla type flavors as Weller 12 (another 90 proof 12 year old) but those flavors are there. When I was drinking VSOF, I was thinking this tastes like some charecteristics of Weller 12, also Makers Mark.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm working on a bottle of the BHC and it must have had a tiny cork issue, as some of the juice evaporated. Truthfully, this bottle ain't great--the whiskey has a prune-like quality that prevents me from fully enjoying it. I have one other still-sealed bottle of BHC-era VSOF and will crack it open to do a side-by-side comparison when the other bottle gets down to the last pour or two.
    I once bought a BHC VSOF that was a little low from evaporation (got the merchant to knock $5 off the price). The oxidation had a pretty negative effect on the taste and it was not very good at all to me. The others I've had that didn't have evaporation tasted much better.

Connoisseur

The current version looks like it has a cork, but it's actually a screw cap.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    The current version looks like it has a cork, but it's actually a screw cap.
    Indeed. Still good though.