Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howdy

Enthusiast

Re: Howdy

I grew up in East Texas, a small town called Winnsboro about an hour from Tyler. I have to agree Conroe is not East Texas, but welcome again.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion

Virtuoso

Greetings from another Houstonian here..

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by gburger View Post
    I grew up in East Texas, a small town called Winnsboro about an hour from Tyler. I have to agree Conroe is not East Texas, but welcome again.
    I live in Conroe, work in Huntsville and play music between 45 and 59 from Humble to as far north as Lufkin so far. I suppose just about everything is a suburb of Houston these days.

Just doesn't feel right claiming the Gulf Coast when I can't smell the salt air and I'm surrounded by beautiful East Texas pine trees.

Thanks again for the many warm welcomes fellas.

Enthusiast

Stay north of Houston, it is very pretty there. I went to school in Huntsville.

Gregg

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I looked on the official Conroe's Convention and Vistor's Center website and they say "PLAN YOUR TRIP TO CONROE, TEXAS, a beautiful collision of nature, history, the arts and recreation all nestled in the Piney Woods of East Texas, just 40 minutes north of the heart of Houston."

http://www.conroecvb.net/index.cfm

From Wikipedia - Conroe is a suburban city 40 miles north of Houston in the gulf coastal plains/piney woods region of southeast Texas.

Moving on to bourbon. What do you like so far? If you make in to Houston, I would suggest checking out Poison Girl Bar on Westheimer - great selection of bourbon. Occasionally, a few of us meet there for a drink.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by gburger View Post
    Stay north of Houston, it is very pretty there. I went to school in Huntsville.
    Grade school or College? I graduated from SHSU in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Moving on to bourbon. What do you like so far? If you make in to Houston, I would suggest checking out Poison Girl Bar on Westheimer - great selection of bourbon. Occasionally, a few of us meet there for a drink.
    I'm not sure I know enough to know what I like yet, but I can identify the things that I don't like. Mostly anything I drank in college, most of which came from the well. So far I would say I'm preferring wheated bourbons.

Enthusiast

Welcome to another fellow Texan! I'm in Dallas, and aside from a 15 year hiatus up north in Michigan I've lived in Austin, Houston, College Station and now back in North Dallas.

Calling Conroe "east texas" isn't much of a stretch, technically anywhere East of I45 with pine trees that's not on the coast is "East Texas."

Hell - I've seen about two dozen small towns west & north of Dallas calling themselves "Hill Country!" Conroe's got more piney woods than salt-water, afterall!

Hope you like where you live - some nice water/lakes there, pretty trees and lots to do without going all the way to Houston - but, when you do - hit Specs (downtown) - great store for finding cool stuff.

Advanced Taster

welcome from another houstonian! sounds like you just began your bourbon journey. there is a wealth of collective wisdom here and very informed helpful people. i've learned quite a bit.

Enthusiast

Sam Houston State 1981

Gregg