Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Disciple

Re: Trey Zoeller of Jefferson's Reserve in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Did he talk at all about accessing whiskey? I have a feeling, based on taste, that their current Jefferson's product is a blend of straight bourbons. That's kosher and still "straight bourbon" under the rules, and it's a tribute to him that he's been able to make such good use of the whiskey available to him.
    He was being very upfront about the ages used at Whiskey Fest Chicago. It's all a blur, but he told me the multiple ages that were in the regular, and reserve bottlings. I got too drunk to remember, and I wasn't taking notes, but I think you should just shoot him an e-mail.

And he stated the Presidential 18, as well as the 17, is solely S-W.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    He was being very upfront about the ages used at Whiskey Fest Chicago. It's all a blur, but he told me the multiple ages that were in the regular, and reserve bottlings. I got too drunk to remember, and I wasn't taking notes, but I think you should just shoot him an e-mail.

And he stated the Presidential 18, as well as the 17, is solely S-W.

well solely aged in S-W barrels at least. i kid i kid
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Enthusiast

We were at Twin Liquors for the event. Twin buys single barrels from him so the three Jefferson's choices at their stores are all single barrels.
    I told him I had a bottle of Reserve I bought elsewhere and he told me that bottle may have 3 or 4 different barrels and years. Most of it should be 10-12 year old stuff.
    I actually like the bottle I have at home more than the single barrel I tasted last night for the Reserve.
    Looking forward to the 18yr Presidential.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion

Advanced Taster

Did he talk at all about accessing whiskey? I have a feeling, based on taste, that their current Jefferson's product is a blend of straight bourbons. That's kosher and still "straight bourbon" under the rules, and it's a tribute to him that he's been able to make such good use of the whiskey available to him.

That's exactly what he does. He buys barrels from multiple distilleries and blends them in batches of 6-10 barrels to get the balance of flavors that he is looking for(trying to maintain some consistency). The Jefferson's is mostly 6-8 year old stuff while the Jefferson's Reserve ranges from 10 up to 15-16 year old stuff.

He's also supposedly holding onto some prime S-W barrels that he thinks will continue to age gracefully to be bottled as a 20 year old JPS. That will be the last of his S-W juice.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    well solely aged in S-W barrels at least. i kid i kid

It sounds like he couldn't legally say that it was distilled at S-W on the bottle. Buying barrels and blending them puts him in a tough position. He can't contractually tell anyone what bourbons that he has blended in each batch. I'm guessing that this is the reason for that questionable statement on the JPS bottles.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S. View Post
    He's also supposedly holding onto some prime S-W barrels that he thinks will continue to age gracefully to be bottled as a 20 year old JPS. That will be the last of his S-W juice.
    Thanks for the info.

Sounded like a nice event.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

He also, by accounts, has moved his bottling operation from KBD to LDI.

Advanced Taster

He also, by accounts, has moved his bottling operation from KBD to LDI.

I remember him saying that he actually bottles at both locations. Or maybe he said that he "has" bottled at two locations.

Enthusiast

I was about to post the same thing Ian. He did mention both places.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

As I understand it, he only uses KBD when he wants some of their whiskey (i.e., whiskey in their warehouses.) Otherwise he uses LDI. I have heard from others that KBD can be somewhat unreliable. Things get done eventually but there always seems to be some kind of problem along the way.