Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Stranahanís only in Colorado?

I like it but I'm guilty of not buying it often enough.

They used to have their wort made next door and piped to them, then they starded having it shipped in from elswere, now this.

I'm disapointed.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If anyone is going to be in Frisco, Colorado this weekend, Jake Norris is supposed to participate in a BBQ event there, sponsored by Stranahan's.

wripvanwrinkle

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I like it but I'm guilty of not buying it often enough.

They used to have their wort made next door and piped to them, then they starded having it shipped in from elswere, now this.

I'm disapointed.
    I was suspicious about the wort being shipped in...but didn't want to challenge it without more information. I took my family on the Stranahan tour today.

When Oscar Blues moved, (iirc) the wort was indeed shipped in for a while. The equipment though stayed on site, and once they hired the brewers to do so, they again produced the wort on site.

The barley comes in pre-malted (if you want to get stressed about that.)

Today they were putting in a new wash kettle, and a third Vendome was being assembled.

If your "disappointment" comment is related to distribution, then I feel for you. If it is somehow related to the process, then I think that your disappointment is misplaced.
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 07-22-2011 at 16:38. Reason: Spelling.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post
    I was suspicious about the wort being shipped in...but didn't want to challenge it without more information. I took my family on the Stranahan tour today.

When Oscar Blues moved, (iirc) the wort was indeed shipped in for a while. The equipment though stayed on site, and once they hired the brewers to do so, they again produced the wort on site.

The barley comes in pre-malted (if you want to get stressed about that.)

Today they were putting in a new wash kettle, and a third Vendome was being assembled.

If your "disappointment" comment is related to distribution, then I feel for you. If it is somehow related to the process, then I think that your disappointment is misplaced.
    Yes, when I was out there in January, they were indeed making there wort there. Everybdy uses premalted barley. I studied there process closely, I like there stuff, but I just cannot imagine how much better it would be if they skipped the boil, and filter and used a wash more like a scottish distillery.

wripvanwrinkle

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Yes, when I was out there in January, they were indeed making there wort there. Everybdy uses premalted barley. I studied there process closely, I like there stuff, but I just cannot imagine how much better it would be if they skipped the boil, and filter and used a wash more like a scottish distillery.
    This is really neat feedback, and there is a lot within this statement that I one day hope to understand. I wish we were having this discussion over beer because I have questions about the distilling process that I don't even know how to ask...

I might be reading too much into your comment, but I want to qualify my statement.

I'm not saying that the Stranahan's process is perfect. I am clueless and couldn't identify a competent process if I saw one.

My issue is more with (what I feel to be) a growing perception that Stranahans was doing something interesting, but is now engaged in a race to the bottom or is somehow doing something untoward. As far as I can tell, Stranahan's is pretty much doing things as they have always done things (for better or for worse.)

Connoisseur

Ask anything you like. I will tell you best I can. There process I think came about because they needed beer to distill, because the must not have had the equipment or know how. Adi pushes this big time, to buy you wash from a brewery and leave corn alon at all costs. Their whiskey was popular and i think when they started making there own wash, they took a if it ain't broke don't try to fix it attitude. No way in the world I would fault them for that. They did it their way and it has paid off. My hats off to them.

Jake Norris, the distiller at Stanahan's, recently made some posts about this on the ADI Forums board. He mentioned that they used to get wash from a brewery but now do all of their own fermentation and he's happy to have control of that process.

Although everyone there is still tight-lipped about what happened with 'the sale,' Jake now seems willing to engage about the product itself. Anyone can participate on the ADI boards. You don't have to be a distiller.

That didn't take long. Jake Norris has now decamped as well. Good article about Stranahan's today on Westword.

Disciple

FWIW, I saw bottles available at two different stores in Indy last weekend. I have no idea how long they were there.

Connoisseur

Jake's leaving does not surprise me at all. When I spoke with him last he was very unhappy with the situation, but was trying to make the best of it.