Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

San Francisco - Whiskey bars and liquor stores

I just started a new consulting project in San Francisco and will be working in the city every other week for the next 6-7 months.

So far I've been to Rickhouse and Bourbon and Branch and was really impressed with both. Rickhouse had some great value pours such as Eagle Rare 17 for 11 bucks. Bourbon and Branch had some whiskey I had never tried before like BMH 16 year.

Anyone have any recommendations for good whiskey and/or cocktail bars in town? Any restaurants with impressive bar menus?

Thanks!

Virtuoso

Re: San Francisco - Whiskey bars and liquor stores

I second this request! The wife and I will be in the San Fran/Fremont area in August and could use some tips.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Taster

I like Bourbon & Branch but it can be a bit overrun by hipsters. If you're staying at the Hotel Carlton it's not a bad option though.

Frequently crowded but enjoyable is Nihon - 14th and Folsom, kind of near Mission and Potrero. It's got a really solid selection, and notably I've seen Nikka there which I have never seen anywhere else in the US. Great scotch selection, one of the best american whiskey selections I've seen as well. If you can scare up a group it's a solid tapas place for eating.

For shopping, IMO, you need to hit The Whisky Shop on Sutter - I want to say 360 Sutter? Kind of tenderloin/civic center; it's near a BART stop. (Powell? Can't remember).

Amazing selection.

K&L also has a store a few blocks south of Moscone (off Brannan); I really like K&L down in LA and David Driscoll is really crushing it right now. Worth hitting.

Alexander's Steakhouse is in that vicinity, which is expensive but a good meal. Decent pours available - some less common Bruichladdichs and they seem to regularly have Springbank on hand. This is a great dinner worth doing at least once.

North of Moscone a couple blocks is Cask which, let's just say it, is pretty expensive. It's run by the people who own Bourbon & Branch; it's definitely one of the more hipster stores I hit. That said, they've got some good bottles there - but if you only do one shop, do the shop on Sutter. (The Whisky Shop has Banffs, Port Ellens, tons of indie bottlings, single grains, etc...)

I flew up to SF every week for a year and a half and hit many spots. I don't particularly dig the city but for whiskey culture, they're undeniable. I've given my favorites.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Alembic on Haight is worth a stop. Good bourbon and rye selections and they make good, classic cocktails there too. I knew I was in the right bar for me when an elderly gentlemen sat down next to me and ordered a "Ritt 100 straight up". The Toronado Pub, also on Haight but a good walk away, has a nice selection of craft beers.

Randy

Advanced Taster

This place looks like a MUST visit.

http://www.gobourbon.com/index.php?o...on&catid=8:csr

Enthusiast

I just read and looked at that place last week. Looks very cool.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I was there with Randy when that happened. Never thought I'd live to see the day when someone (I didn't know) did that. We had a nice chat with the gentleman, a SB er in spirit.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Haight Street equals Toronado-Magnolia (primo brewpub)-Alembic.

Alembic is owned by the people who own Magnolia.

Toronado is only beer, but what beer.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by angler82 View Post
    I just started a new consulting project in San Francisco and will be working in the city every other week for the next 6-7 months. ...
    Anyone have any recommendations for good whiskey and/or cocktail bars in town? Any restaurants with impressive bar menus?

Thanks!
    Elixir (www.elixisf.com), 3200 16th St., corner of Guerrero, in the Mission, 415.552.1633 has a nice selection of straight ryes and single malt scotch at somewhat reasonable prices and is a relaxing place. I have heard about (but have not tried) Rye (www.ryesf.com), on Geary Street, in the Civic Center/Tenderloin area, having a wide selection.
    Last edited by Shell; 06-04-2011 at 20:45.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by RegChumpington View Post

For shopping, IMO, you need to hit The Whisky Shop on Sutter - I want to say 360 Sutter? Kind of tenderloin/civic center; it's near a BART stop. (Powell? Can't remember).

Amazing selection. ...
    The Whisky Shop is at 360 Sutter St., bet. Stockton & Grant (~ 1 blk. from the Drake Hotel). (Ph. 415.989.5458 / www.whiskyshopusa.com).

And, you are so right - fantastic selection of scotch. The staff is extraordinarily knowledgeable and helpful.