Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Disciple

Kentucky Bourbon Ale - Barrel Sources

When touring distilleries last weekend, Heaven Hill, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, and Woodford Reserve all claimed to be selling used barrels to age this beer. I can't imagine that the brewery needs a high quantity of barrels, and I would think they would want to reduce flavor variation among the different bourbons that have previously occupied those barrels.

The only thing I can assume is that they use multiple bourbon-barrels, and then mix for consistancy. Can anyone verify that this is the case? Does anyone know what other distilleries might be involved?

Virtuoso

Re: Kentucky Bourbon Ale - Barrel Sources

A single craft brewer in Baltimore is buying 300 barrels locally just to do one of their seasonal beer's this fall. This is up from less than 100 last year... bourbon barrel beer is a booming business.

Some brewers I am familiar with will blend beer from different barrels as well as from barrels which have been filled from 1 to 3 times. One very small brewer I am aware of only uses barrels from a specific rye whiskey and only uses them once.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

They use Woodford Exclusively and they have a warehouse sized walk-in filled with hundreds of full ones. Production is up quite a bit and they only use the barrels "a few" times.
    They use wine barrel pallet racks. They hold three barrels each and stack them up 20 ft high. They move them with fork lifts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by pepcycle View Post
    They use Woodford Exclusively and they have a warehouse sized walk-in filled with hundreds of full ones. Production is up quite a bit and they only use the barrels "a few" times.
    They use wine barrel pallet racks. They hold three barrels each and stack them up 20 ft high. They move them with fork lifts.

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder why the others were claiming the same thing? They probably sent them a few at one time, and figure it will happen again.

Disciple

BB - if your interested in such things there is this thread which is an attempt to track the provenance of bourbon barrels used in bourbon barrel aged beer.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...on+beer+barrel
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

Thanks Dean, appreciate the help.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Thanks Dean, appreciate the help.
    Sure, maybe log this one if it's not in there.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Virtuoso

Were they all making claims about Alltech's beer specifically? There are plenty of places putting beer in used cooperage. A brewery in Wisconsin told me they used Heaven Hill barrels when I asked. Because of course I asked.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Were they all making claims about Alltech's beer specifically? There are plenty of places putting beer in used cooperage. A brewery in Wisconsin told me they used Heaven Hill barrels when I asked. Because of course I asked.

Yes, they were, which is what I found so strange. I remember touring before and hearing the laundry list of all the places the used barrels go (scotch, irish, wine, beer, brandy, etc.) They all specificaly mentioned either "Alltech" or "Kentucky (Bourbon) Ale in Lexington".