Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 402
  1. #1
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,718

    What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Summer 2011

    In celebration of the best time of the year I made a visit to Binny's to find that they have finally gotten in their private bottling of Weller Special Reserve. I grabbed one and will probably be grabbing some additionals in the coming weeks for the bunker...on first visit it sweet on entry with maple and vanilla turning to a hint of dried fruit on the finish. I didn't get the woody character or the dryness that I have on some of the WSR SB's out there...going to revisit in a week or two to see if I still give it the "buy" rating!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

  2. #2
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Apt. #2890c
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today?- Summer 2011

    The WSR is always a crowd pleaser with folks as it is such an easy drinker. Over the past few years I have had bottles that have been just "OK" to others that are very good. Looking forward to your take on the Binny's as I am due to do a bit of restocking.... assume this is an under $20 bottle?
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

  3. #3
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today?- Summer 2011

    The other day I found a handle of WT Old#8 bottled in '95. I had some from '97 that I was not impressed with at all, but I'd heard that earlier years were much better (but I forgot which years were the good ones), so I took a chance and bought it. It turned out to be real good tasting.

    I also picked up a couple of OWA and one OGD114 that day.
    Last edited by gblick; 06-21-2011 at 06:24.

  4. #4
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,601

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today?- Summer 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    In celebration of the best time of the year I made a visit to Binny's to find that they have finally gotten in their private bottling of Weller Special Reserve. I grabbed one and will probably be grabbing some additionals in the coming weeks for the bunker...on first visit it sweet on entry with maple and vanilla turning to a hint of dried fruit on the finish. I didn't get the woody character or the dryness that I have on some of the WSR SB's out there...going to revisit in a week or two to see if I still give it the "buy" rating!
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    The WSR is always a crowd pleaser with folks as it is such an easy drinker. Over the past few years I have had bottles that have been just "OK" to others that are very good. Looking forward to your take on the Binny's as I am due to do a bit of restocking.... assume this is an under $20 bottle?
    I've only had one taste, compliments of Joe, and as a guy who has loved all the past Binny's bottlings, would just say this is my least favorite and "OK"... but I'm just not the biggest WSR fan and didn't think much either of the Everett's bottling that a lot of other people really enjoy. I think Joe mentioned this was originally supposed to be an OWA bottling but something got lost in the translation between them and BT. Price is $18.99.

    Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    The other day I found a handle of WT Old#8 bottled in '95. I had some from '97 that I was not impressed with at all, but I'd heard that earlier years were much better (but I forgot which years were the good ones), so I took a chance and bought it. It turned out to be real good tasting.
    Yup, 92- 95 and I need me some more!
    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today?- Summer 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I've only had one taste, compliments of Joe, and as a guy who has loved all the past Binny's bottlings, would just say this is my least favorite and "OK"... but I'm just not the biggest WSR fan and didn't think much either of the Everett's bottling that a lot of other people really enjoy. I think Joe mentioned this was originally supposed to be an OWA bottling but something got lost in the translation between them and BT. Price is $18.99.
    Yeah I picked one up over the weekend and echo these sentiments. This is the first bottle of WSR I've ever tasted, and I find very little reason to revisit it. I'll say that for a $19, there really aren't any offending notes in the bottle, but there isn't much to it either. I could see it blowing away the regular OWA bottling if it was 107 proof, but at 90 proof, nothing really makes it onto the palate.

    If you need to get drunk very quickly, it's a great deal and it'll do the job, but if you prefer to savor your whiskey, I just don't see it. I'll continue to look for it as I work on the bottle, but I'm very underwhelmed thus far.

  6. #6
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    232

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Summer 2011

    2 PVW 15 and 2 PVW 20 in Philly on my way back home from Atlantic City.

  7. #7
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Summer 2011

    Some interesting finds yesterday that I picked up this morning after a little research:

    Weller 12yo with the raised wheat in the glass (picture below)
    Numbers stamped on the back, according to Ian S., indicate it is a 2004 bottling: 42041013:22pm
    So far I have only smelled it but it has a superbly rich aroma... probably going to go pick up a newer W12 today and do a side by side

    WTRB W-T-01-97 375ml
    I'm not much of a Turkey fan but figured I could either drink this and get a feel for what WT used to be or use it in a trade with a friend

    WTKS Pewter top
    All of the information on the necker has been completely rubbed off with the exception of "On Rick No. 26"

    Any information on these bottles would be helpful. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StraightNoChaser; 06-22-2011 at 13:46.

  8. #8
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Summer 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Some interesting finds yesterday that I picked up this morning after a little research:

    Weller 12yo with the raised wheat in the glass (picture below)
    Numbers stamped on the back, according to Ian S., indicate it is a 2004 bottling: 42041013:22pm
    So far I have only smelled it but it has a superbly rich aroma... probably going to go pick up a newer W12 today and do a side by side.
    That Weller 12 is actually a 2010 release...they didn't start using that bottle until 2007 and the code indicates that it was bottled on the 204th day of 2010 at 1:22pm. Sorry to burst your bubble...

    On the WTKS I'm guesing that is a 2001 or earlier bottling as the sticker on the front changed in 2002 to a brown sticker that they started using on the WTKS smooth brown tops in 2003.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    458

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Summer 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    On the WTKS I'm guesing that is a 2001 or earlier bottling as the sticker on the front changed in 2002 to a brown sticker that they started using on the WTKS smooth brown tops in 2003.
    I have a WTKS from 3/5/01 that has the brown the label so I'm guessing this one is older than that.

    Along the Weller 12 lines, I picked up 3 bottles this weekend for $14.99 each. It was a small store in a small town. They had price stickers on everything and did not have a scanner at the register. I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it when I saw them, other than grabbing them. Later on, I made the determination that whoever put the price tags on these bottles was not a bourbon person and must have thought they were Weller Sp. Reserve. I don't really care what year they are from, but they are the new bottle shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BradleyC; 06-22-2011 at 16:02.

  10. #10
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    225

    Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Summer 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    That Weller 12 is actually a 2010 release...they didn't start using that bottle until 2007 and the code indicates that it was bottled on the 204th day of 2010 at 1:22pm. Sorry to burst your bubble...

    Ok, so the dating is solved. I have several new bottle Weller 12's and the serials are either gone or in a different format than the above.

    It's also safe to say that there have been different versions of this new bottle and label. I would also say that some SW juice has made it into some early offerings of this bottle. I have a liter of the new bottle that is definitely SW....I have no doubt about it.
    "It's supposed to taste like bourbon. If it tastes like anythin' else, you got a problem." - Parker Beam

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Spring 2011
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 825
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 05:31
  2. What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2010
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 429
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 17:58
  3. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2009
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 446
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 11:11
  4. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2008
    By OscarV in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 264
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 18:09
  5. What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07
    By jbutler in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 16:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top