Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,155

    Cleveland Whiskey

    Most microdistilleries present themselves as a lone farmer or passionate whiskey lover on a mission. This one is...er...different.

    From their website http://www.clevelandwhiskey.com/about.html:

    Cleveland Whiskey LLC is an innovative science/technology and marketing focused start-up with a patent pending proprietary process to dramatically accelerate the natural processes of aging and maturation for distilled spirits. With this technology, the company expects to sharply reduce the time-to-market associated with the production of premium whiskey by a factor of 12 to 1. Correlated benefits include significant cost reductions and the ability to accurately replicate taste profiles based on rapid prototyping and consumer testing. A new and disruptive entrant in a traditional industry, Cleveland Whiskey jumps into an expanding world-wide whiskey market ($19.8 billion, 495 million liters) with a distinct competitive advantage.


    As a start-up we’re not yet producing spirits although we have been conducting a series of validation tests and experiments with our fast-forward aging technology. Using new-make malt and rye spirits, a range of oak exposures and toast levels, as well as a systematic sequence of thermal and pressure changes, we’ve had extremely positive results. In the meantime of course we’re raising money, but that’s another story.

    Mmmmm, "science/technology and marketing focused" whiskey.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    219

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    Interesting. Considering there are only three Ohio-made whiskies on the market today which cost $45, $83-100 and $115 per bottle, respectively, if nothing else this will give us ohioans another product to choose from. Whether it is worth buying, though, we'll see. At any rate, it's about time cleveland joined the micro-distillery movement, seeing as there are already operations going on in Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton.

  3. #3
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,658

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    I posted an article link about this guy and his quest a while back. I will see if I can find it.

    If he still hasn't perfected his science, he may never.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  4. #4
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,658

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by cbus View Post
    Interesting. Considering there are only three Ohio-made whiskies on the market today which cost $45, $83-100 and $115 per bottle, respectively, if nothing else this will give us ohioans another product to choose from. Whether it is worth buying, though, we'll see. At any rate, it's about time cleveland joined the micro-distillery movement, seeing as there are already operations going on in Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton.
    He's not a micro, but a whiskey alchemist trying to speed up the pace from white dog to fully aged whiskey. He's one year into a two year experimental DSP license with nothing but press clippings to show for it so far.

    There's an actual licensed micro distillery opening in the Ohio City neighborhood on Cleveland's near west side. DeanSheen has more details on it than I do as that is in his neck of the woods. Even if they lay down bourbon on day 1, I won't be concerned with their output for another 6-8 years anyhow. I'm not a fan at all of underaged bourbon or rye.

    Here's the thread from last summer about the same guy.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  5. #5
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,781

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    We may have one soon.

    The new brewery opening up near the market was supposed to be putting in a still. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    Well, according to ADI, they just got awarded a Cuyahoga County low interest loan for their work for $123,500.

  7. #7
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,658

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Well, according to ADI, they just got awarded a Cuyahoga County low interest loan for their work for $123,500.
    His facility is in a part of town where the local government is trying to spur innovation. I would be surprised if this loan was not tied to his business location more than a prediction of the success of his business model. He's an entreprenurial alchemist who, by his bio, knows how to work the system.

    Plus, Calahooga County is prone to do dumb things now and then.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  8. #8
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,541

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    I don't know if this is the same guy I've seen before or another one trying to do the same thing. Not much different than a guy trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. I tend not to devote much energy to this sort of thing when these guys crawl out from under their rocks. A fool and his money are soon parted, and all that jazz.

    In the meantime, the old Michter's barrel-a-day distillery in in place is the Cleveland suburb of Chagrin Falls. Tom and Lianne hope to start making whiskey in it soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    927

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I don't know if this is the same guy I've seen before or another one trying to do the same thing. Not much different than a guy trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. I tend not to devote much energy to this sort of thing when these guys crawl out from under their rocks. A fool and his money are soon parted, and all that jazz.

    In the meantime, the old Michter's barrel-a-day distillery in in place is the Cleveland suburb of Chagrin Falls. Tom and Lianne hope to start making whiskey in it soon.
    That is the best place to put your money on for Ohio whiskey. Dick Stoll was up at our place today talking about this. I think Tom will be in good shape to make good whiskey. On another note. Dick is doing well. I hope I am as sharp as he is when I get his age.

  10. #10
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,658

    Re: Cleveland Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    That is the best place to put your money on for Ohio whiskey. Dick Stoll was up at our place today talking about this. I think Tom will be in good shape to make good whiskey. On another note. Dick is doing well. I hope I am as sharp as he is when I get his age.
    Time to call for another tour at Tom's Foolery.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Greetings from Cleveland
    By DeanSheen in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 18:53
  2. Grain Whiskey VS. Malt Whiskey
    By whiskeyme in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 12:21
  3. Is whiskey aged in wood healther than young whiskey?
    By WineGuy in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 15:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top