Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

My Own Distillery (Re: Let\'s Talk About Vodka)

Tim,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ... non-whiskey revenue streams ...

[/QUOTE] When I read that, I immediately pictured you running your licensed still, along with a token warehouse, in a theme park, such as Knott's Berry Farm (in the L.A. area), where your operation would be a good fit with the funnel cake shop, the mine train, the log ride, the dance hall, etc.

Perhaps a more adult-oriented attraction would be more suitable. I'm not a Las Vegas buff, but maybe they have something that would be a good fit.

The downside of such an approach is that someone else would have a say in your operation, perhaps to the detriment of the whiskey.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

Re: Let\'s Talk About Vodka

Hey Chuck,
    This reminds me of some stuff they bottle around here. Grain neutral spirits, real 'corny' and a kazillion proof...it's bottled under names like 'Corn Likker', etc.
    I remember as teenagers (giving away my age here... ), we used to have 'field parties' and make-up huge tubs of Kool-Aid, slice up oranges, lemons and limes and add a fifth (or two depending on the size of the tub...and party ), toss in a bag of ice and...it would 'set you free'...
    So what you're saying is...most lower shelf vodka is a diluted-down version of that stuff?
    Just curious. I really only drink vodka in Bloody Marys, the breakfast of champions...
    Bj

Guru

All of this discussion of vodka reminds me that as a youth I succumbed to the advertising by Smirnoff, specifically the claim that their vodka "leaves you breathless".

I wasn't sure whether that meant it would take my breath away or merely not leave a tell-tale odor on my breath. Either way I was sold.

Regarding the latter point it never occurred to me that if I were stumbling-over-matchsticks drunk, the condition of my breath was unlikely to allow me to pass for sober.

As to the former point, when I briefly attended college on the east coast in 1960 as a mere lad of barely 17 years, one of my first illegal purchases of alcohol was a pint of Smirnoff. Not having access to a refrigerator, I stored anything that I chose to chill on a window sill. I decided that would be a good place to store my vodka. I opened the bottle one snowy night when the 20 degree wind across the Charles River overcame the feeble heat from my radiator, causing me to reach for the anti-freeze. I can attest to the fact that drinking ice-cold vodka straight from the bottle does indeed leave one breathless.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    So what you're saying is...most lower shelf vodka is a diluted-down version of that stuff?

[/QUOTE] Exactly right!

Guru

Just to check the spelling in my earlier Smirnoff post I looked up their website. Then I couldn't resist clicking on "Ingredients".

They say, "We start [emphasis mine] with specially selected, neutral grain spirit, which we blend [not mix, mind you!] with demineralized and filtered water, purer than any spring."

They seem to acknowledge that GNS owes little debt to the origin of the starches that produced it, and they almost seem to brag about qualities that would lead inevitably to zero taste.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

This has gone on far enough, It's time for me to disseminate some acculmulated wisdom from one of the Grand Sages . HH Kroll quotes Pappy VanWinkle as saying, " If I wanted to drink Vodka I'd just find me somebody to sell me a can of Alcohol.............Folks who drink Whisky-----they want to drink something................." P209 Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon. Can I hear An Amen? !!!!!!!!!

Connoisseur

Amen Brother...and pass the Bourbon...
    Hallelujah!
    Bj

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Glory, Another Wayward Soul has seen the Light and is on the True Path............Are there Others? !!!!!!

Virtuoso

AMEN!

AMEN, BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!

Disciple

{Raising glass of Van Winkle 10/107}

Preach on, BROTHA!

Amen!

TomC