Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Old fashioned with Woodford

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    How did you come to choose turbinado sugar? It seems like it would take longer to disolve than other sugars. This does sound like a good cocktail though!

Added by edit:
    Have you tried this with a bourbon instead of the White Dog?
    Jack, I just really like turbinado sugar. It adds a little depth. And yes, it does take some extra effort to get it to dissolve but the end results, to me anyway, justifies the extra effort.

I have made it with Bourbon (usually OWA) and it is really, really good. It is a tad on the sweet side, though. The orange bitters I have isn't nearly as herbal as regular Angostura bitters though it isn't bad with either...
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Disciple

I use turbinado sugar in cocktails all the time as well. It has a good molasses and maple flavor that really goes well with bourbon.

Connoisseur

Slightly off-topic, but I made a wonderful Old Fashioned with Laird's BIB. I muddled about two packets of just good ol' plain, death white sugar with some local farmstand blackberries, a couple of fresh cherries, then added two finger's of Laird's and a handful of ice. Pretty sweet, but also pretty great.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

You can also add a teaspoon (no more) of red vermouth at the end.

Taster

I find with some whiskeys, using Fee Bros Old Fashion aromatic bitters is better. Especially with 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

1 sugar cube
    2-3 dashes old fashion aromatic bitters
    splash of water

I muddle that together, then add 2oz or so of the bourbon, then twist some orange zest over it (or not). I don't like adding cherries or actual orange meat or soda water.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
    I find with some whiskeys, using Fee Bros Old Fashion aromatic bitters is better. Especially with 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

1 sugar cube
    2-3 dashes old fashion aromatic bitters
    splash of water

I muddle that together, then add 2oz or so of the bourbon, then twist some orange zest over it (or not). I don't like adding cherries or actual orange meat or soda water.
    I agree. I don't like the fruit muddled into the drink. But I do skewer an orange slice and a cherry for garnish.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Taster

Well that is pretty, I won't disagree.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by imbibehour View Post
    all...

bow...

down..

McMillan is not just a bartender...

he is an institution.
    Just made it his way- excellent.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DAM View Post
    This is the recipe I use as well. In addition to the Angostura bitters, I add two dashes of Peychaud's bitters as well. So good.

Also, I like using cherries like these rather than the neon red maraschinos. I've never used this brand specifically, but a local gourmet shop sells a homemade version that looks to be pretty much identical to these.

http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourme.../dp/B001CDOBCM

Taster

At about $2 an ounce, that seems pretty expensive! I make my own brandied cherries using a very simple recipe:

1. Put a bunch of fresh cherries (pitted or not) into a clean mason jar (don't stuff it).
    2. Pour sugar over the cherries until the jar is almost half-full of sugar (you'll have to shake the jar while pouring in the sugar to fill in the spaces between cherries).
    3. Fill the rest of the way with Kirschwasser (cherry brandy). I brought mine from Germany but you can buy it here in the States as well. By the way, make sure you leave a little bit of air at the top of the jar.
    4. Seal up the jar and let it rest for about 8 weeks.

If it's not cherry season, you can use Dole frozen cherries as well. They thaw easily and quickly (about 30 minutes on a plate) and they taste pretty good. Not as good as the fresh cherries but close.

If you can't find Kirschwasser for a reasonable price, I did a jar with cognac... though I haven't tasted those yet. Also, Binny's in Chicago sells a version with grain neutral spirit, but the cherries themselves looked disgustingly neon red. Binny's sells some weird crap sometimes.