Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Guru

Re: What Beer are you drinking summer 2011

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    You lucky dog, Hank! Great price. Our Gary Gillman introduced me to FSE last year, and it's one of my favorites. As the weather is cooling, I'm looking forward to getting back to drinking it. I'll pick some up this weekend!
    The woman at the liquor store said something about an "overstock" situation, which is why they dropped the price so much. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the stack of cases and the sign above it with the $3.99 price tag. I sort of regret not buying even more, but with money being as tight as it is for us these days I couldn't really spring for any more than the two cases I bought. Enjoy your Guinness FES and don't forget the Irish whiskey on the side!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I don't know their products well enough to comment on any drop off in quality but I will say that I tried the Hoptober recently and really enjoyed it. Is it primarily the Fat Tire that has undergone negative changes or the entire line? I seem to recall that Mighty Arrow was quite nice this summer, but again I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.
    The Hoptober isn't bad by any means. But its just been off putting to see beers go down and by the wayside (-2 below, Mighty Arrow, etc...). I'm sure New Belgium has a large following nationally. But locally, they have begun a downturn.

In one of my classes today, New Belgium's director of Media Relations, Bryan Simpson, came in for a presentation. Although he spoke highly of New Belgium's commitment to being green and environmentally conscious, what I left with was a bittersweet feeling. He mentioned that their 5 year plan consists of them becoming a national brand, with distribution in all 50 states, as well as adding another brewery to the eastern seaboard. Currently they produce 700,000 barrels annually, but he even hinted that that number is a low estimate. All he cared to talk about was the money they have spent on 'new, green technologies' that set them apart from other breweries. And while that may be appealing to some, its not to me.

He mentioned nothing about a passion for brewing, he seemed to not care at all about the quality of the products produced. I came out of his presentation with the conclusions that New Belgium only cares about: quantity produces, the bottom line, and the crazed growth.

Now looking at these factors in a pure business sense, there is nothing wrong on the surface. But from a consumer standpoint much has gone wrong. New Belgium has resorted to a basic core of beers, and doesn't seem to have the passion to create new beers, they don't seem to want to experiment anymore. I loved Bew Belgium when they had a new beer for every season, and when their staples were phenomenal beers. But now, across the board it really seems they are just totally set on the bottom line and are just churning out beers without questioning quality.

New Belgium is destined to be the next Boston Brewing Company (fwiw).

I'm still trying to piece together what was said today, I got no feeling of a passion for beer from the speaker, just a passion for the bottom line. Which in my eyes, is no way for a craft brewer to operate. I don't see Sam Calagione penny pinching to make a profit, I see a man passionate and crazy coming out with beers that people never thought were possible. New Belgium could use some crazy, some innovation, and some great new products. But if they want to go abroad, and be in 50 states, then that's their choice, and I am sure there will be no shortage of followers; I just don't think I'll be one of them.
    Last edited by moose; 09-21-2011 at 19:58.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    The Hoptober isn't bad by any means. But its just been off putting to see beers go down and by the wayside (-2 below, Mighty Arrow, etc...). I'm sure New Belgium has a large following nationally. But locally, they have begun a downturn.

In one of my classes today, New Belgium's director of Media Relations, Bryan Simpson, came in for a presentation. Although he spoke highly of New Belgium's commitment to being green and environmentally conscious, what I left with was a bittersweet feeling. He mentioned that their 5 year plan consists of them becoming a national brand, with distribution in all 50 states, as well as adding another brewery to the eastern seaboard. Currently they produce 700,000 barrels annually, but he even hinted that that number is a low estimate. All he cared to talk about was the money they have spent on 'new, green technologies' that set them apart from other breweries. And while that may be appealing to some, its not to me.

He mentioned nothing about a passion for brewing, he seemed to not care at all about the quality of the products produced. I came out of his presentation with the conclusions that New Belgium only cares about: quantity produces, the bottom line, and the crazed growth.

Now looking at these factors in a pure business sense, there is nothing wrong on the surface. But from a consumer standpoint much has gone wrong. New Belgium has resorted to a basic core of beers, and doesn't seem to have the passion to create new beers, they don't seem to want to experiment anymore. I loved Bew Belgium when they had a new beer for every season, and when their staples were phenomenal beers. But now, across the board it really seems they are just totally set on the bottom line and are just churning out beers without questioning quality.

New Belgium is destined to be the next Boston Brewing Company (fwiw).

I'm still trying to piece together what was said today, I got no feeling of a passion for beer from the speaker, just a passion for the bottom line. Which in my eyes, is no way for a craft brewer to operate. I don't see Sam Calagione penny pinching to make a profit, I see a man passionate and crazy coming out with beers that people never thought were possible. New Belgium could use some crazy, some innovation, and some great new products. But if they want to go abroad, and be in 50 states, then that's their choice, and I am sure there will be no shortage of followers; I just don't think I'll be one of them.
    Very interesting, Moose. May I ask what type of class this was?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Very interesting, Moose. May I ask what type of class this was?
    Of course, it was Contemporary Issues in Business and Society, a senior level management class (only have a few credits left til graduation). Was pretty nice that he took time out to come and speak to us, definitely learned a bit.

Guru

Arrow Re: What Beer are you drinking summer 2011

Time to start a Fall thread.

Interesting link. I'm pretty sure I'll never get to try any of these.

http://www.slate.com/id/2304257/?from=rss

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Time to start a Fall thread.

Interesting link. I'm pretty sure I'll never get to try any of these.

http://www.slate.com/id/2304257/?from=rss

Tim
    My sources tell me it's Friday September 23 @ 5:05am Eastern.
    ovh