Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Impressions of 1849?

The most recent threads on Old Fitz 1849 are all locked, and most of them concern the bottles with an age statement. I was wondering about anyone's opinion of the current stuff.

What with the current talk about Heaven Hill's willingness to make some good wheaters, I wondered about this mid/low shelf expression.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Connoisseur

Re: Impressions of 1849?

I had some a few months back and it was not bad. Much better than standard old fitz.

Guru

I hope that was clear.

Yes better than Old Fitz Prime, but a sharp stick in the eye is better than the current Old Fitz Prime.

But I hold out hope that in a few years it will be back to being drinkable.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

I recently finished a bottle. It wasn't bad, but I doubt I'll replace it.

Virtuoso

I would pass on this in a heartbeat..... JMHO
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

Based on how good the Parker's Heritage wheater 10yo was, ya gotta think there's some really good juice in them thar rickhouses. I wonder how a person could get his hands on it???

I can think of 4 standard production Fitz wheaters
    • Fitz Bond
    • Fitz Prime
    • 1849 (formerly 8yo)
    • Very, Very Super Extra Special Olde Fitzgerald 12yo

Are there any others? Has the 12yo garnered any following with what I believe would be the interim juice from pre-HH Bernheim?

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 05-30-2011 at 17:36.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    The most recent threads on Old Fitz 1849 are all locked, and most of them concern the bottles with an age statement. I was wondering about anyone's opinion of the current stuff.

What with the current talk about Heaven Hill's willingness to make some good wheaters, I wondered about this mid/low shelf expression.

Well, willingness and ability are 2 different things. Let's hope HH sees some of the discussions here though and has that willingness because we certainly all know after the PHC10 release that they have the ability to make it. I guess what we really have to hope though is that already have made it, and are just waiting on the right age to release it.

Connoisseur

Thanks for the feedback, friends. It was really just curiosity, as I sometimes see it down there on the bottom shelf, looking up at me from that stout little bottle for $17 or so. But right above is it is Weller 12 for $20, or if I'm looking for a cheaper pour, EWB for $13, so I see there's no need to respond to that come hither look she sometimes gives me!
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Disciple

I bought a bottle out of curiosity, and it's one that I try to pawn off on friends that mix their bourbon with coke. It definitely won't be replaced, because I think there are much better mixers at similar prices. I do really enjoy my bottles of the 8yr. 1849 though.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

I think the wheaters from hh will continue to improve. Probably took them a few batches to get it figured out. I know, because we have a bunch of wheated bourbon aging and it is different from making rye bourbon. It took me a few times to get it right.