Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulliet Rye

Bulliet Rye

Picked up a bottle of this Saturday and I am on my third glass since last night. I must say, this is a mighty fine whiskey at a mighty fine price.

Virtuoso

Re: Bulliet Rye

I find the Bulliet Rye far too minty for my palate... I do like their bourbon
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

It's the first rye I have tried, I am excited about trying some other brands as well. Any suggestions on what a good next bottle may be? I also like the Buillet bourbon, very nice pour.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rman04 View Post
    It's the first rye I have tried, I am excited about trying some other brands as well. Any suggestions on what a good next bottle may be? I also like the Buillet bourbon, very nice pour.
    Any Rye you can get your hands on except JB Rye or Old Overholt. Rittenhouse BIB or WT Rye or maybe Baby Saz would be must buys.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Bulleit is an atypical rye. Sazerac Rye (Baby Saz to distinguish it from the 18 year old. Baby Saz is NAS) and Wild Turkey Rye are pretty typical. Rittenhouse is more bourbon-like. I don't share HipFlask's aversion to Old Overholt and Jim Beam Rye (both made by Jim Beam). Jim Beam Rye is the best-selling rye by a wide margin, in part because it's just about the only one available in a lot of places. And because it's cheap. Beam Rye and Overholt are also pretty typical. The best seller in a category is typical by definition, I guess.

Disciple

I've come to appreciate the LDI house-style. Besides liking the overall flavor profile, the really nice thing about LDI Rye is the variety of bottlings. What other major lets their rye-mashbill loose on the open market to result in what's starting to become a dozen various expressions?

Viva la LDI!
    Last edited by White Dog; 06-27-2011 at 22:43.

Virtuoso

I find the LDI rye's to have a very wide range ... some like the Bulleit which IMO tastes far to minty, almost tooth paste like. On the other hand the recent 3YO SB CS that Willett which SV did is one of the sweetest and most attractive young rye's I have tasted with the mint well under control.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    ... On the other hand the recent 3YO SB CS that Willett which SV did is one of the sweetest and most attractive young rye's I have tasted with the mint well under control.
    I must not be up on the abbreviation codes. What is "SB CS that Willet which SV did''.

Thanks for the clarification.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    I must not be up on the abbreviation codes. What is "SB CS that Willet which SV did''.

Thanks for the clarification.
    I think that would be the single barrel cask, strength that Willett bottled for Shopper's Vineyard.

RH

Disciple

Reid's acronyms run deep.