Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Exclamation Ten High Bourbon - Keeper?

I haven't tasted this yet, but just picked up a 750ml for $6 (VA) as I wanted to try some bourbon laced recipes. It smells nice, and I can't complain about the price.

I read the tasting notes here, and it sounds like its place on the shelf is warranted, but I tend to follow that scruffy old man to his pick when I'm in the ABC. That's what I did with this one.

Any thoughts on how this will cook/mix/drink?

Thanks!
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Disciple

Re: Ten High Bourbon - Keeper?

You're doing well if it's a straight bourbon -- most of us get the blend now.

With that said, it's pretty thin and unoffensive as something to drink and gets lost in a mixer. I have a handle strictly for use in cooking.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Guru

Should cook and mix pretty well. Neat, keep your expectations low.

I have yet to see the blend on the shelf in Michigan.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

FWIW, I'd pass on this one. Ten High is pretty much now what is commonly referred to as a "well" bourbon. A run of the mill bourbon, for the sake of having something when someone orders a bourbon on the rocks, or bourbon and coke etc... at a bar, without being specific. Something they can charge for, that they'll be sure to make some money on. The older stuff, such as Ten High ten year old is decent, but I'd say save your money on the current regular bottling. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Taster

Since I bought it mostly to cook with and mix, I think I could have done worse.

I can't quite take bourbon neat yet, as I'm really new to the whole game.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Enthusiast

I agree with the above comments, except I feel it is a solid mixer (unless its the new "bourbon a blend" bottling). I'm sure its fine in cooking, but I have yet to try it.

Guru

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was a keeper vs. a drinker. In this case it is a keeper. Mostly good for those who want to mix with Coke or ginger ale.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Ten High (assuming it's the straight bourbon) is Very Old Barton at 4 years, so pretty good whiskey, just a little on the young side.

Taster

Mine is the straight variety. I suppose I should have mentioned that. I didn't really realize that there was a blended version out there.

That said, I've tasted it, and happen to like it quite well. As thin as it is, I can handle it neat with a little ice, whereas I couldn't do that with my last bottle of EWBIB. I loved the stuff, but it was a little too strong neat. At least for me.

I'm playing with the idea of getting a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel to hold on to and occasionally drink. Any thoughts on that?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's no longer 'neat' if you put ice in it. Then it's 'on the rocks.'

Four Roses is very good but you have to drink it. Just holding it doesn't do the trick.