Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Ten High Bourbon - Keeper?

That's true. Did I mention that I'm a newb? When I say a little ice, I mean a couple of chips to cool it, but they melt almost immediately. Does that count?

Also with the FR, I meant to keep the bottle for special occasions. Bourbon drinking company and the like.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Photodudems View Post
    That's true. Did I mention that I'm a newb? When I say a little ice, I mean a couple of chips to cool it, but they melt almost immediately. Does that count?

Also with the FR, I meant to keep the bottle for special occasions. Bourbon drinking company and the like.
    That's what I thought when I got my first bottle of 4R Single Barrel. Then I bought another one a week later...
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

That good eh? I was looking to yellow label, but I'm also eyeing a FR single barrel glass pack that is only $3 more than just a bottle.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Photodudems View Post
    That good eh? I was looking to yellow label, but I'm also eyeing a FR single barrel glass pack that is only $3 more than just a bottle.
    The single barrel is my favorite Four Roses regular release, and it's still reasonably priced, although it was a much better deal when it was new (to the U.S., any way) four years ago.

Some people prefer the Small Batch, which is similarly priced.

The Yellow label is nice, smooth, and well-balanced. I prefer bourbons that demand more of my attention, but that's a personal thing.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you add anything it is no longer neat.

Four Roses Yellow Label is a good everyday bourbon. Four Roses Single Barrel is a good special occasion bourbon.

Advanced Taster

Since getting back from Iraq I have enjoyed cooking with bourbon, I did internet searches while there and found a bunch of recipes I usually make with 4R but Ten High should work

Here is one of my favorites, because the wife has a "Tender Mouth", (can't take spicy, get your minds out of the gutter) I use honey mustard instead of the Dijon.

Bourbon-Glazed Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons bourbon
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 6 pork chops (bone-in, 1-inch-thick)

Directions:
    Prep Time: 40 mins
    Total Time: 54 mins
    1. In a shallow dish or large zip-lock heavy-duty freezer bag, stir together the first 6 ingredients; add in pork chops.
    2. Cover dish or seal bag and chill 30 minutes, turning once.
    3. Remove pork from marinade, reserving marinade.
    4. Grill pork over med-high heat, covered w/ grill lid for 10-12 minutes (or until done), turning once.
    5. Transfer reserved marinade to a saucepan; bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
    6. Pour sauce over chop and serve.

I have a burner on the grill so as I boil the marinade I also paint it on the chops so it caramelizes (I also go a little heavy on the bourbon)

Connoisseur

Ten High was my everyday table whiskey until it went blended. This is the way I look at it. I save the more expensive stuff till I want to treat myself. No need to pay big bucks to get a good drinking whiskey. It is like this old man told me one time. Son, you can eat rib eye steak 7 days a week but every now in then you just got to want to gnaw on some neckbone.

Guru

Our Ten High says,"Straight sour mash" on the label. I assume it's not straight Whiskey. Nowhere does it say straight bourbon whiskey. Are they trying to pull one over on us?

Connoisseur

The new label in print that looks like the print on the bourbon. Say bourbon whiskey a blend I think. I found out the hard way. I bought a 1.75 and when I got a drink out of it, I new something was bad wrong. Then I saw the label. Deceptive I think. I called the store and pitched a fit. They did not even know it had changed.

Taster

That sounds awesome. I think I'll try that sometime.

For tonight though, it's Bourbon Glazed Salmon.

1/2 stick butter

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

4 salmon steaks (wild Alaskan if possible)

1/3 cup Bourbon (your choice)

Finely chopped pecans
    Dredge the salmon fillets in the chopped pecans and set aside. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Place salmon fillets on top of brown sugar mixture. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Turn salmon, and pour bourbon around the fillets. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Spoon glaze over the salmon, and serve.