Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 7/11: Maker's 46

I found it to be a lot better than regular Makers. I wonder if the whiskey benefits more from the oxidation it gets from moving out of the barrel and back, than it does from the staves put in the barrel. I myself cannot see why all of the big distilleries do not go back to making whiskey the way it tasted years ago. In my opinion, mm is not nearly as good as it was 15 years ago.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I suppose there's some logic behind that, and the marketing folks at Beam obviously know more and have better information than I do. I just picture the MM drinker as being someone who doesn't branch out very far.
    Why should they? They are already drinking the best possible bourbon in the world. Why would they want to drink anything else?

Virtuoso

IMO...Better than regular MM..... but that really does not say much. Pretty poor value at a $36 price point...again IMO...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

I got my first bottle of 46 on sale for $30 and opened it just last month. I'm pretty much running with the pack here. Better than MM and decent enough but not as tasty as other wheaters in the price range, even @$30.

Guru

When did M46 (not MM46) come out?

I got two bottles when it did and this thread reminded me that I still have one.
    So I opened it up today and am sipping on some neat, yes that's right, I have been typing one handed for ages now.
    From what I remembered from the first bottle this one seems subdude.
    I remember the first bottle being bold and full of oak and red hot cinnamon with a heavy tannin finish.
    This bottle is a wimp of those descriptions.
    So, is it me or the bottle or was I on the M46 bandwagon when it debuted?
    ovh

Connoisseur

I like MM46 more than standard Maker's but it definitely didn't live up to the hype. I guess that's true of most things.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post

I got two bottles when it did and this thread reminded me that I still have one.
    So I opened it up today and am sipping on some neat, yes that's right, I have been typing one handed for ages now.
    I remember the first bottle being bold and full of oak and red hot cinnamon with a heavy tannin finish.
    This is close to my experience as well. I think it came out about a year ago. I had a pour at a bar about 6 months ago, and it seemed fuller, more oak and bolder flavor than one I had a couple of weeks ago. The latest pour seemed less full and less integrated, as well as a bit hot. Is this a single barrel product?
    Mark

Advanced Taster

I wonder if the difference between now and 6 months ago is the temperature at aging.
    The reason I think this is some young whiskey's (3-6 Month) I have seen significant color differences between winter and summer batches. I think that M46 is only stave aged for a few months or weeks? Maybe it is due to different temps during aging at certain times of the year?
    Of course this would not explain Oscar who bought two at the same time.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post

It hit Indiana about this time last year, but I think it was available in Kentucky around the 2010 Derby. It was not offered at the MM distillery as a tasting in June of 2010, but was when I went in June 2011.

Advanced Taster

I picked up a bottle of M46 a few months ago. I liked the wood flavor which was up front but not too strong. It has a spicy finish which I also like. $35 may be too much for this bottle but it is a nice whiskey.
    Jim