Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur
    The tour is not like any of the big boys tours. They are on an old Amish farm that they have updated. The mash and distilling are done in the same room. These guys are a true craft distillery. They only have 4 people working there and that includes Paul (master distiller) and his wife Mary Beth ( reason for MB). You are in and out in about 30 minutes. I would recommend it. Mostly because they sell all their experimentals and low volume stuff there. I have bought a couple bottles of the aged shine, their black dog bourbon and their ultra black (corn whiskey). It has all been top notch stuff. Paul is still tweaking his recipes, but I have no complaints with any of it. To my knowledge none of that is available in stores. Only thing available around here are their white/black dogs and fruity shines. If you are in the area It would be a must see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disciple

Re: MB Roland Distillery

Thanks. I'll see if I can talk the rest of the group into a slight detour.

Disciple

I think I'm going to make it down there next week. Any other thoughts from people who have been there?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I think I'm going to make it down there next week. Any other thoughts from people who have been there?
    I have been. I love their products. Paul bottled a black dog bourbon last year that is what I consider to be my favorite bourbon. I think he got annoyed by me asking if they were ever going to produce it again. It was an experimental. The distillery itself is on an old Amish farm that they have updated. Cool little place in the middle of Christian County KY. Not far off the interstate though, so very easy to get to. Paul and Mary Beth (The MB part of MB Roland) are about as nice as they come. Give them a call and find out if they will be smoking any of the corn for the black dog (white whiskey) and if they will be opening any experimentals around the time you will be there. The tour itself is pretty quick. My father in-law and i were there about about 45 minutes total, but I asked a lot of questions. If you could let me know if they have any new experimentals coming out of the barrel soon, I would appreciate it. I like supporting these guys, because they make great whiskey. A little pricey, but still worth it in my opinion.

If you are heading south down 65, so you should stop by Corsair Artisan as well. They are supposed to have a nice place in Bowling Green, KY. I have not been yet, but plan to stop the next time I am going through the area. They are doing some pretty cool stuff with whiskey as well.

Let me know if you go and how you like it.

Guru

I see a "malt whiskey" and "bourbon whiskey" on their product list but no other name for them. Has anyone tried them? The Black Dog is listed as a corn whiskey. The "malt whiskey" does not show up on the Party Source online purchase list.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I see a "malt whiskey" and "bourbon whiskey" on their product list but no other name for them. Has anyone tried them? The Black Dog is listed as a corn whiskey. The "malt whiskey" does not show up on the Party Source online purchase list.
    I haven't had the malt whiskey but the bourbon is quality stuff. Paul's newsletter came out today and they will have the bourbon available again soon but probably only at the distillery. TPS typically only has the unaged white and black dog in stock. They also have their fruit flavored shines. The newsletter mentioned a wheat whiskey that is at the distillery. It doesn't say for sure but I would assume a majority wheat mash aged in used bourbon barrels. I have had several of their experimentals and have enjoyed all of them. Paul puts out some great stuff but is trying to get ahead of the aging curve. Things go real fast when they available. I will have to schedule a trip to the in laws to get some of these. I do believe he ships to most places if you find something interesting.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I haven't had the malt whiskey but the bourbon is quality stuff. Paul's newsletter came out today and they will have the bourbon available again soon but probably only at the distillery. TPS typically only has the unaged white and black dog in stock. They also have their fruit flavored shines. The newsletter mentioned a wheat whiskey that is at the distillery. It doesn't say for sure but I would assume a majority wheat mash aged in used bourbon barrels. I have had several of their experimentals and have enjoyed all of them. Paul puts out some great stuff but is trying to get ahead of the aging curve. Things go real fast when they available. I will have to schedule a trip to the in laws to get some of these. I do believe he ships to most places if you find something interesting.
    I made it in this afternoon, and was a tour group of one. It still took 40 minutes with all of the questions I was asking.

I tried the white dog, the black dog (excellent, and I'm not a fan of the unaged stuff), 2 rums, a single malt, a wheat whiskey, and all of the flaovred stuff. The flavored stuff was decent, but not my cup of tea. They said they had some of the black dog aging, that would come out of the barrels this summer.

A few other notes:

All products use the same yeast. (not unusual for hte craft guys)
    Barrels were very small, most 5-10 gallon
    6-7 cats around as a preventive action against mice.
    The wheat whiskey was being aged in used barrels.
    A very accessable location off of I-24, close to a military base.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I made it in this afternoon, and was a tour group of one. It still took 40 minutes with all of the questions I was asking.

I tried the white dog, the black dog (excellent, and I'm not a fan of the unaged stuff), 2 rums, a single malt, a wheat whiskey, and all of the flaovred stuff. The flavored stuff was decent, but not my cup of tea. They said they had some of the black dog aging, that would come out of the barrels this summer.

A few other notes:

All products use the same yeast. (not unusual for hte craft guys)
    Barrels were very small, most 5-10 gallon
    6-7 cats around as a preventive action against mice.
    The wheat whiskey was being aged in used barrels.
    A very accessable location off of I-24, close to a military base.
    How did you like the wheat whiskey? I may have my father in-law swing by and pick some up for me. Sounded interesting from their newsletter. I do like their white and black dogs myself. I tend to keep the black dog stocked at my house. I have found that both drink well on ice and in margaritas (whiskeyritas I guess is more appropriate).

The blackdog bourbon news is fantastic. I will make a special trip for it this year. "honey you know we really haven't seen your parents much lately. Why don't we go this weekend!". It is that good to take THAT plunge.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    How did you like the wheat whiskey? I may have my father in-law swing by and pick some up for me. Sounded interesting from their newsletter. I do like their white and black dogs myself. I tend to keep the black dog stocked at my house. I have found that both drink well on ice and in margaritas (whiskeyritas I guess is more appropriate).

The blackdog bourbon news is fantastic. I will make a special trip for it this year. "honey you know we really haven't seen your parents much lately. Why don't we go this weekend!". It is that good to take THAT plunge.
    I remember liking it better than the single malt, the two of which I had consecutively. Tasting 11 different products in a line without notes probably isn't the best way to give a fair review. I remember that I would have guessed the proof about 15 points lower than it actually is.

Disciple

To ejmharris and/or anyone else, I spoke with Paul today and the black dog will come out of the barrel this summer. He also said that future barreling instead of being all corn (tobacco aged) will be predominately corn, but also with a rye addition. I can't wait to taste that one as well.