Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Successful Two Bourbon Vattings

Bumping this thread to share my latest success. Had bottles of OF BB '10 and JB Devil's Cut that we're languishing on the shelf. Neither was bad, but each was missing something. The OF had ample corn sweetness with a nice rye backbone but little between to balance the two. The DC had a nice, oakey presence but was thin for 90 proof and lacked a strong finish. A 1:1 combo proved to be a good fix for both providing the "middle" the OF lacked and the overall body missing in the DC. I had two ample pours of that last night and it held up very well. I poured the remainder of the mix into the DC bottle, which also allowed me to get rid of that attractive-but-awkward OF bottle!
    Happy vatting, everyone!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Bumping this thread to share my latest success. Had bottles of OF BB '10 and JB Devil's Cut that we're languishing on the shelf. Neither was bad, but each was missing something. The OF had ample corn sweetness with a nice rye backbone but little between to balance the two. The DC had a nice, oakey presence but was thin for 90 proof and lacked a strong finish. A 1:1 combo proved to be a good fix for both providing the "middle" the OF lacked and the overall body missing in the DC. I had two ample pours of that last night and it held up very well. I poured the remainder of the mix into the DC bottle, which also allowed me to get rid of that attractive-but-awkward OF bottle!
    Happy vatting, everyone!
    Just started reading these vatting threads and i happen to have a pour of OF BB 08 remaining and a mini of DC. I will surely try this out. Thanks!!

Connoisseur

I started a vatting experiment a while back and found success using the following formula:

Pick a whiskey/bourbon you want as the core. That becomes 50% of the whiskey. It's akin to being the neutral grain whiskey in a scotch blend. So i tend to choose young whiskeys. It would be a good excuse to release all the Rebel Yell you might have .

Then pick The two ( or more) whiskeys to flavor it. You can mix them in any ratio to make up the remaining 50%

Another factor to take into consideration is the addition of water to balance the proof...if like me, you've mixed a cask strength or high proof whiskey.

Then, let it sit a week to marry.

I made a few reasonable sipping blends. My latest blend is a mixture of all wheat bourbons with Berhiem Original and Rebel Reserve as the core. The rest is small doses of Weller and Van Winkle product.

Novice

Being new here, I was hesitant to post this, but I tried a little combo of my own last night. I had a bottle of Weller's Special Reserve, and an almost empty bottle of Woodford Reserve.

I mixed them 2 parts Weller's to 1 part WR, and it came out really nice. May have to try that again.
    Ride safe, and drink responsibly,
    Chuck

Enthusiast

My first successful combo, EWB and WTRB. 2:1 EW:RB. It was amazing. They really worked together.

Connoisseur

Wasn't sure which way to go with this, so I took several small bottles and vatted a combination of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select (nice taste, awful finish) and Devil's Cut (lots of Oak, lacking in depth) in ratios of 1:1 2:1 and 1:2.

Hopefully there will be the right balance in one of those.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interesting approach and the right combination may well work. I'd try also a wheater with them, with the WR and DC being a kind of seasoning for the other.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Wasn't sure which way to go with this, so I took several small bottles and vatted a combination of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select (nice taste, awful finish) and Devil's Cut (lots of Oak, lacking in depth) in ratios of 1:1 2:1 and 1:2.

Hopefully there will be the right balance in one of those.
    After two personal successes and reading about others' experiments, I'm beginning to think that Devil's Cut may be a good flavoring whiskey. It's too limp on it's own, but seems to give others a good bump when needed. May be a good thing to keep on hand, if only it were a little cheaper.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

Not exactly bourbon... but the right ratio of Balcones True Blue and Balcones Single Malt tastes surprisingly like bourbon... a damn good one I might mention

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Not exactly bourbon... but the right ratio of Balcones True Blue and Balcones Single Malt tastes surprisingly like bourbon... a damn good one I might mention
    So that's a "crooked" bourbon - as opposed to a straight one?