Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Successful Two Bourbon Vattings

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Joe, great point! I stand corrected. And I love Corso.
    Just a Ball Stater helping a Hoosier brother out.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bowling night tonight. Our team drank better than we bowled. We did a side by side of MM 84 proof, and MM 90 proof. One friend from another team brought some OGD 114, and Phillips bourbon. All were decent. Near the end of the night, there were four glasses partially filled with theses bourbons. I asked Gary what he thought about mixing them all together. He said go for it. So I did. I wasn't expecting much, but was I surprised at the outcome. The sum of this vatting was way better than any of them individually. Here's approximately the amounts of each we vatted.

1 part MM 90 proof
    2 parts MM 84 proof
    3 parts Phillips 80 proof
    6 parts OGD 114

The OGD 114 helped out the other three, while the combo of the other three seemed to offset the higher proof of the OGD 114. The MM's and Phillips also seemed to quell the Beam yeasty taste in the OGD 114. All in all a great vatting. Medium and slightly sweet on entry. Mid palate saw this open up nicely. The finish was great. Nice, warming and long. Very well balanced if you can believe it.

FWIW, Of the six of us that did the MM side by side comparison, only one guy picked 'em wrong.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Talking Re: Successful Two Bourbon Vattings

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Bowling night tonight. Our team drank better than we bowled. We did a side by side of MM 84 proof, and MM 90 proof. One friend from another team brought some OGD 114, and Phillips bourbon. All were decent. Near the end of the night, there were four glasses partially filled with theses bourbons. I asked Gary what he thought about mixing them all together. He said go for it. So I did. I wasn't expecting much, but was I surprised at the outcome. The sum of this vatting was way better than any of them individually. Here's approximately the amounts of each we vatted.

1 part MM 90 proof
    2 parts MM 84 proof
    6 parts OGD 114

The OGD 114 helped out the other three, while the combo of the other three seemed to offset the higher proof of the OGD 114. The MM's and Phillips also seemed to quell the Beam yeasty taste in the OGD 114. All in all a great vatting. Medium and slightly sweet on entry. Mid palate saw this open up nicely. The finish was great. Nice, warming and long. Very well balanced if you can believe it.

FWIW, Of the six of us that did the MM side by side comparison, only one guy picked 'em wrong.

Wow a FOUR bagger! Has that ever even been attempted? It's the Triple Lindy of vatting. You just took this thread in a new and dangerously interesting direction.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Here's another one: 1:1 Ritt bond with MM. I added a light dash water as well, not sure if it helped, I think it did.

The Ritt has these huge aromas and tastes of earth, grass and, well, that certain something you can get in straight whiskey. It's perfect as is for any cocktail treatment, but on its own it is a bit much for me. The MM is rather bland and sweetish, so basically it cuts the Ritt profile to a more even, bourbony palate. I found two rocks assisted to bring out the bright flavours. It's funny how two whiskeys which are a little rough in the finish - acidic or tannic or whatever, and it does vary by bottle - can become soft and pillowy simply by being combined. But it does happen, some abstruse combination of ions or something.

Gary
    As always great tip Gary! Of course the same excellent result with my substitution of 80 proof DSP 16 made Old Fitz Prime for the MM (no water). The sum is richer, with the Ritt benefitting some of the light grape/wine notes of the Old Fitz Prime and results in some subtle brandy flavors. I've tried adding 10 ml of some other whiskeys to the 20/20 ml mix but so far prefer the 1:1 combo on this one. I'll mix some up for the Sampler.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post

1 part MM 90 proof
    2 parts MM 84 proof
    6 parts OGD 114

Hey Joe, what was the percentage of backwash spit in there? And, did you pick up on the Gary's Hot Pastrami on rye with extra kraut at lunch on the nose?

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well of course, that's now the "Ten Pin Vatting"! (Anyone trying it is advised to eat a corned beef sandwich on the side ).

Interesting too what you said about the MM comparison.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That sounds great Thad, it is probably better than mine! I agree you don't need the water, the 80 takes care of that. Look forward to trying it at Sampler.

Gary

Guru

I find the MM taste comparison very interesting.

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Hey Joe, what was the percentage of backwash spit in there? And, did you pick up on the Gary's Hot Pastrami on rye with extra kraut at lunch on the nose?

And that's why you're BOTY Joe, thinking of the little things we forgot. Geez, we all thought it was so simple
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Not two, but here goes. Combined equal parts OF 86 and 100, EC12 and Maker's Mark. Quite a bit better than the parts individually. Best, Bradley