Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Successful Two Bourbon Vattings

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    I tried one of 3 parts Weller 12 to 1 part Larceny. The Larceny adds a whole new layer of flavor, very interesting. It takes a week or so for the flavors to meld, but I am starting to enjoy it.
    This is something I have contemplated trying. Glad to hear it works out well.

Virtuoso

At Squire's suggestion, I vatted together HH Gold BiB with Dickel Rye. The mint really comes forward in this vatting. The taste is very similar to what I would call the HH house profile of just a few years ago--dry, grassy, and minty. The current BiBs have been dry and grassy, but less minty.

Successful? I don't know about that... but fun and definitely drinkable. I wouldn't mix an entire decanter of it, though
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Initially I was working with a combination of 5 or 6 JD's (mostly Blacks but one SB at least - but I consider it all just Jack), and then added about 10% bonded Ritt. I still couldn't get it right, it was a little edgy and the Jack dominated without the rye adding much. Then I added about 5% Maker's, so now a four grain, and it came into its own. First and foremost is the silky and seamless mouthfeel and then the tamped down Jack notes, i.e., still Jack made deeper and richer and sweeter and well, less Jack. It's a winner albeit not a two-vat anymore.

Gary

Enthusiast

About 3 years ago I had the Weller, Stag and Saz Antiques at the same time, and when they all got low (like an inch or inch and a half of each) I vatted them all together for another 4 grain. It was absolutely stupendous! My spirits buddy agreed, fantastic!

Another thing I like to do is when any low rye bourbon has hung around a little too long and gets flabby, I just add about an ounce or two of OGD114 and presto-chango, it's a lean, mean biting machine again.

Here's another one: 1:1 Ritt bond with MM. I added a light dash water as well, not sure if it helped, I think it did.

The Ritt has these huge aromas and tastes of earth, grass and, well, that certain something you can get in straight whiskey. It's perfect as is for any cocktail treatment, but on its own it is a bit much for me. The MM is rather bland and sweetish, so basically it cuts the Ritt profile to a more even, bourbony palate. I found two rocks assisted to bring out the bright flavours. It's funny how two whiskeys which are a little rough in the finish - acidic or tannic or whatever, and it does vary by bottle - can become soft and pillowy simply by being combined. But it does happen, some abstruse combination of ions or something.

Gary

Enthusiast

I tried 3 parts JTS Brown BIB with 1 part EC 12. As you might expect, it tasted a lot like HH White 6 yr, but maybe even better. Very close.

Virtuoso

The " Wheat Sandwich" (patent pending) is 2pt Rebel Reserve, 1pt MM and 1 pt Bernheim. Turns into a very palatable Wheater especially if you find yourself with Rebel Reserve to spare, and who doesn't.

edit: technically this is off topic because it's a Three bourbon vatting but carry on.
    Last edited by Old Dusty; 03-10-2013 at 17:28.

That sounds very good! I think the last part might be a William Larue Weller as well. But that is exactly how I would do it, ramping up so to speak in quality but inversely, or planing out, in terms of volume.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 03-10-2013 at 20:29.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    The " Wheat Sandwich" (patent pending) is 2pt Rebel Reserve, 1pt MM and 1 pt Bernheim. Turns into a very palatable Wheater especially if you find yourself with Rebel Reserve to spare, and who doesn't.

edit: technically this is off topic because it's a Three bourbon vatting but carry on.
    Not so fast, my friend! (Thought a Corso-ism would make you feel welcome, Hoosier. ) You still have just 2 bourbons in there. Bernheim is a wheat whiskey. So, you're good...

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Not so fast, my friend! (Thought a Corso-ism would make you feel welcome, Hoosier. ) You still have just 2 bourbons in there. Bernheim is a wheat whiskey. So, you're good...

Joe, great point! I stand corrected. And I love Corso.