Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Successful Two Bourbon Vattings

Does it count if the vatting is done in my stomach?
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Virtuoso

I've been experimenting with WSR and OWA since I bought the new Binny's bottling of WSR. It's pretty much a no-brainer, but it seems that at 3:5 of OWA to WSR is hitting a sweet spot for me. Binny's WSR, while balanced in all categories, lacks character. The OWA adds the character in proof, and the blend has a wooden cherry effect that is quite pleasing to me.

On a normal day I'm not a big fan of OWA either. Again, nothing much to affront, but nothing much other than a wheaty heat to keep me coming back. This vatting is finally bringing out something I can like in a 7-year wheater, and it's a barely ripe cherry meat with a bit of wood in it. I would even say it's reminding me vaguely of an immature Pappy15 or even 20.

Connoisseur

That sounds good, Aaron. I've done a little vatting with the Weller line and always thought there's certainly some good discoveries to be made there. I've had half a mind to go in to my liquor store & grab a 750 each of WSR, OWA and Weller 12 and just combine all three and see what happens.

I mean, it certainly couldn't be bad. I think it'd have to fall somewhere between good and excellent.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

I tried both a 2:1 and 4:1 of HH BiB (gold label) and McKenna SB BiB (10 y/o) given that they are both HH and the same proof. Interestingly both whiskeys are sweet on their own (the HH is corny, the McKenna shows more barrel-influenced sweetness). When vatted together the sweetness of each is subdued but not necessarily in a bad way. At 2:1 the the 10 year old contributes some woody notes that aren't as noticeable on its own.

I found 4:1 to be just right: it retains the easy drinking vitality of the 4 year old without being overly tannic or astringent, but with just the right amount of maturity and complexity from the 10 year old. For someone who doesn't care for overly sweet bourbons, this vatting would be especially appealing. I like the sweetness of the constituents but it's a nice change of pace.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The 4:1 sounds very good, makes a lot of sense.

Gary

Something I think I haven't done before is what I dubbed The Tennessee Waltz - JD and Dickel 50/50. The JDs were actually three, two SBs, one was Silver Select, and Jack Black. The Dickels were a black and beige label from the early 80's. The light powdered charcoal scents blended well. The Jack profile tends to be bigger than George's, and kind of absorbed the latter, but it is all very good. Admission: feeling it needed a touch of tannic age, I added a dash of EC 12 to it, so there is a Kentucky musician shall we say in this Tennessee band.

A very nice blending of elements, some of this may come with me to Bardstown soon.

Gary

Virtuoso

Not two-Bourbon, per se, but I tried a roughly 1:1 combination of Old Forester Signature and Beam rye, and was quite pleasantly surprised. This bottle of OF is a little tannic, with some toasty bitterness that overshadows its underlying maple-sugary sweetness. The Beam rye, while not a world-beater, is decent enough for what it is, but it has that well-known Beaminess that a lot of people don't care for.

Together, they cover each others faults quite flawlessly. The vatting takes on a hard candy sweetness balanced by tinges of piney and pickle barrel notes from the rye, and has just the right balance of wood to create a soothingly dry finish. Maybe the biggest gain is that it takes on a rounder, thicker mouthfeel. If anything, this vatting tastes very much like a straight rye, not unlike Baby Saz, though with a rounder mouthfeel. In fact the nose is reminiscent of Saz 18, though obviously much younger.

Anyway, a winner in my book-- far better than either on its own.

Excellent, good notes, thanks for this.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Not sure this constitutes vatting, but I've been pouring the last 2 to 4 ounces of every bottle I finish into a decanter in what has become a mini solara. I enjoy the ever changing (and never bad) character of the resulting mixture.

It is vatting, for sure. I do something similar and it is never bad, often excellent.

Gary