Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Successful Two Bourbon Vattings

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Interesting approach and the right combination may well work. I'd try also a wheater with them, with the WR and DC being a kind of seasoning for the other.

Gary
    I thought about trying to vat the DC with MM, but figured I would just wind up with something that tasted like Maker's 46.

Connoisseur

Just vatted up a full bottle with a 50/50 mix of OWA and Weller 12. Will give it a try tomorrow and then see how it progresses over the next few weeks.

Virtuoso

Tried balancing the sweetness in the Angel's Envy with a 4:1 vatting with WT101. Liked it quite a bit. Also tried the same ratio with WT101 Rye, which I didn't like as much...
    Mark

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    After two personal successes and reading about others' experiments, I'm beginning to think that Devil's Cut may be a good flavoring whiskey. It's too limp on it's own, but seems to give others a good bump when needed. May be a good thing to keep on hand, if only it were a little cheaper.
    Good idea on the DC!

I have been using Woodford Seasoned Oak in some vattings that needed a wood bump. It brings so much wood and flavor very little is needed in a vatting to have a big effect. It was a gift and turned out to be not a whiskey I would choose as a sipper, but it has lasted a very long time being used sparingly as a flavoring whiskey. Not looking forward to replacing it because of the cost. The DC will be a much more cost effective alternative.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Excellent points!

Gary

Virtuoso

I've been vatting two of the same thing, sort of.

I recently got a Charter 10/86 that is very, very mild, with a light body, but a bright spice tingle that floats above all. It all finishes quickly. It is more similar to my expectations of recent AAA 10yo than my memory of Charters from the '70s - which brings me to its partner in the vatting... a 1972 Charter 7/86.

The 1972 has a heady caramel nose, heavier corn backbone, and a bit of old oak in the finish. A bit too much, actually, and a slight bit musty. It may be labeled 7 years old, but I'd bet that some of the barrels in that dump were much older than any of the barrels in the 10/86. However, watering that 1972 down with the fairly neutral current release brings it right into my happy zone.

And happy I am.

Roger

Connoisseur

Trying my 50/50 of Weller 12 and OWA after 48 hours in the bottle. Haven't seen much of a difference yet in taste, curious to see what this will do with some more time.

Connoisseur

After letting the 1:1 of Woodford and Devil's cut sit for a week, I decided to give it a try. I would say it was better than either of them alone, more flavor, no oxidized penny taste, but still nothing to write home about.

It did give me some high hopes for the 1:2 Woodford to DC vatting. But I also think I am going to allow it another week to... meld.

Connoisseur

I'm a big fan of the OWA - Weller 12 blend. Last night I had one of those "why didn't I think of this sooner" moments. Has anyone vatted MM +M46? I'm not particularly fond of reg Maker's, a little soft with a strange fruitiness, but I do like the mouthfeel. I like the 46 better, more spice, bolder, but pricey. I would like to play around with the ratios a bit, but expect it could be really good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Once again excellent experiments and reflections, the last two posts in particular but I enjoy all.

The "oxidized penny taste" IMO is the effect of the pot still combined with use of raw grains (as any bourbon) and relatively restrained aging, 4-5 years I believe. It's a taste that some Irish whiskey has, for similar reasons. Even though Versailles whiskey is only a part of the mingling for WR - indeed WR is a two-bourbon vatting, essentially - that pungent taste shows through.

When you add just a little WR though to a vatting, it adds complexity without the distinctive notes being identifiable. That is why 1:2 or even 1:3 will likely work better than 1:1, plus the distinctive taste of the DC will dominate. You have here - DC and WR - two fairly assertive whiskeys, so the mingling will always be assertive one way or the other. I'm not a big fan of the Beam taste but I find, just as with WR, it can add complexity and interest when a smaller amount is added to a greater amount of another whiskey (anything from 10%-25%).

I would try WR 1:3 with Maker's, say, or any low-rye recipe bourbon, it will "fill it out" and create a complex rich drink which doesn't really taste like either.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 04-03-2012 at 10:04.