Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    The Voshole

Re: Successful Two Bourbon Vattings

[quote Look on the bright side. At least they didn't call it "Old Joe's Reserve" [/quote]

Damn, how did we let that get past us?
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Good one Scott. Thank you sir. May I have another?
    Okay.

At least they didn't call it "Joe's Half Breed"

You should be more careful of what you ask for.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Thinking about vatting some of. my Pure Kentucky XO with my EC12. The taste of these two are so similar. The XO definitely has more wood and spice, but also has a roughness to it. The EC12 is smoother, but less exciting and of course a lower proof. What do you vatters think? 1:1?

Connoisseur

My strategy would be to toss some in a glass, let it mingle for a few minutes or so, and try it. If you like it, do up a little bottle of it to let it mingle more. Let us know what you think too!

6-8 months ago I put some EWSB '01 and EWB together, and it has turned into something wonderful! I think I'll try adding a little pre-fire EC12 to amp up the rye a bit. MMM, wish it was 5 so I could do it now....
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Taster

My local store has been out of OWA and W12 for a long time so I've been craving a nice, easy drinking, lower shelf pour. I was pretty impressed with VOB BIB, but it just seemed to have a little more alcohol bite than I wanted so I picked up a VOB86. It had promise, but was way too laid back.

Solution? I've vatted them at 1:1 and got just what I was looking for - a 6yr, 93pf that's smooth and tasty - for about $13.50 a 750ml. It's weird, but I would bet that this combo would be picked out of a blind taste by most as a wheater - which was what I was looking for anyway.

It isn't going to win any double golds but I'm way impressed with these VOBs - especially for the price.
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Enthusiast

I have a couple bottles of OF Prime 1992 that have that great SW sweetness but are pretty weak at 80 proof. I recently did an in-glass mix of 2 parts OWA and 1 part OF Prime, and it was very nice. It added some of that gentle SW elegance and mouthfeel, and gave some additional proof and complexity to the OF. I did a half-bottle OWA vatting that I'm going to give some time, but I have high hopes for this one.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Right now I've got a vatting of 60% OWA and 40% BT. This particular OWA was a little rough-edged, thin and with a brett-like element in the aftertaste, the BT was better but a little spirity. The combination is softer and more complex than either. I added a touch of water too to bring it down just a bit.

Gary

Connoisseur

Did a 1:1 of Pure Kentucky XO and Elijah Craig. Turned out exactly as I suspected ... a stronger EC12 with a bit more oak on the finish.

It was fine, and if you are a big EC12 fan and wish it had more pop, then you will like it, but overall it didn't excite me enough to do it again.

Guru
    How long do you let it "vat"?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Basil Hayden (still at 8 years) and OGD 114 (or maybe OGD BIB)? This seems stupidly obvious and simple - I understand that they're supposed to be the same juice at different ages and proofs - but I am still interested in advice as to what ratios might work best.

Maybe 50/50? Or would more than 50% BH be needed to significantly alter (smooth out/lighten up/sweeten?) the OGD?

This is interesting because most of the vattings above seem to account mostly for differences in mash bill, especially differences in rye vs. wheat content. A BH and ODG blend seems like a perfect chance to figure out how different ages affect vattings. (I am operating under the assumption that the OGD is little more than half the age of BH.)

*Now that I think about it, the would-be clever plan above is really not so original; doesn't SB blend fit the same pattern (but with wheaters instead of rye bourbons)?
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 06-30-2012 at 09:19. Reason: Remembered Something Obvious
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut