Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Leaching of Lead into Whiskey from Ceramic Decater Glazing

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I guess they followed through on their joke and drank the sample vs testing it...can't blame them though!
    If he gets tasting notes instead of a lab report, that might be funny enough to justify the exercise.

wripvanwrinkle

Update: I called today and they informed me that they required the rest of the bottle, a Glencairn, and a cigar to complete the analysis. I assume that this is standard lab protocol?

Real Update: Although the person that I spoke with couldn't say why, my sample was forwarded to another lab. The expectation is that the results will be available by the end of the week.

Real Update Conspiracy Speculation: Special Reserve used his Brotherhood of the Laboratory connections to hijack my sample. Shame on you SR!!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post
    Update: I called today and they informed me that they required the rest of the bottle, a Glencairn, and a cigar to complete the analysis. I assume that this is standard lab protocol?

Real Update: Although the person that I spoke with couldn't say why, my sample was forwarded to another lab. The expectation is that the results will be available by the end of the week.

Real Update Conspiracy Speculation: Special Reserve used his Brotherhood of the Laboratory connections to hijack my sample. Shame on you SR!!!
    Man you're on to me!

I'm very interested in the report. This is way out of my field but I'm interested knowing what is said.

My guess is that there is no lead or very low level of lead in the bourbon sample.

Lead analysis is whole blood is a bit tricky and requires specialized equipment and contamination from the blood container is always considered when an elevated level is encountered. Preferably clinical samples should be collected in a special acid washed tube but most are not.

I have no idea how it would be measured in alcohol it may be easier. Also of concern is the level of detection.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post

They should have their own glassware to accomodate both nosing and tasting. The cigar and bottle sound reasonable.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    They should have their own glassware to accomodate both nosing and tasting. The cigar and bottle sound reasonable.
    Today, in my lab, there is very little glassware. 40 years ago I would never have imagined this.

Will

wripvanwrinkle

First of all, many thanks to the guys at Pro-Lab. They were informative and fun to work with. I really appreciate their willingness to facilitate my odd request.

Today they were kind enough to give me a call, and the results were surprising. In fact, the results were so surprising that they ran the test 3 times to confirm.

In summary, the lead content within my sample was nearly 1,000 times higher than the acceptable limit in water. For example; while the acceptable lead limit in water is 14.9 parts per billion (ppb) the content of my sample was 14,700 ppb.

In effect, 15 versus 14,700.

I'm trying to get my head around what this means, but I'm struggling to put together a relative comparison.

But to answer my original question, (unless the Austin Nichol distillery was built with lead piping, lead mashtuns, and lead stills)...that yes...there is a profound leaching of lead from the lead glazing of ceramic decanters into the content whiskey.
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 08-02-2011 at 15:51.

Virtuoso

Wow. So glad you finally got the results and thank you for sharing. I wonder if the lead could somehow be filtered out without ruining the whiskey.

Time to call Magneto

wripvanwrinkle

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Wow. So glad you finally got the results and thank you for sharing. I wonder if the lead could somehow be filtered out without ruining the whiskey.

Time to call Magneto
    Well damn my curiosity. Now I need to shell out for a Brita filter and another lab test.

Guru

I don't know why I didn't think of this until now but you should have included a control sample or the lab should have asked for one.

It would be very interesting to see how much lead a WT sample from a regular bottle contained.

I'm shocked at the amount of lead present and now must reconsider drinking a ceramic container that I have.

Yikes!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hmmm. Done some tasting over the years from dusty ceramic containers including a favoured coffee cup. Still standing, I think. I would think a few sips here and there over 10 years or so should have no effect, still, something to think about I guess.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-02-2011 at 19:16.