Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Pappy On Bottlers.

With regard to our occasional conversations about bottlers and marketing companies that pretend to be distilleries, I came across this quote from Pappy Van Winkle.

"It is very important to see these four words on a bottle: 'Distilled and Bottled By.' Because any fool with a funnel can bottle whiskey!"

Before someone points out that today's Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery is not, in fact, a distillery, note that they always fully and prominently disclose where their whiskey is made and have never done otherwise.

Disciple

Re: Pappy On Bottlers.

I personally don't have a problem with the companies that use LDI or other distilleries to make their product. I have a problem with those that go to lengths to avoid the disclosure. I don't expect anyone to advertise it, but some really seem to make hiding this fact an art.

Good quote, thanks Chuck.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I agree. Bottlers have value but they have to be what they are and not pretend to be something else.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with the companies that use LDI or other distilleries to make their product. I have a problem with those that go to lengths to avoid the disclosure. I don't expect anyone to advertise it, but some really seem to make hiding this fact an art.

Good quote, thanks Chuck.
    Agreed. I find myself increasingly avoiding these products largely because of the deliberate deception.
    Craig

Enthusiast

As long as you like what's coming out of the bottle is it really that huge of a deal who put it there and where they got it?

That statement, of course assumes that we are past the shady practices of old rectifiers...
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    As long as you like what's coming out of the bottle is it really that huge of a deal who put it there and where they got it?

That statement, of course assumes that we are past the shady practices of old rectifiers...
    If it was superior product then perhaps not. But given the fact that the legitimate distillers/bottlers produce bourbon that is at least as good, I'm inclinded to support those who are the most forthcoming.
    Craig

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    note that they always fully and prominently disclose where their whiskey is made and have never done otherwise.
    Can you tell me exactly where any given bottle of Pappy 15 came from with certianty?

I've read a few conflicting theories on this here on SB.com

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    If it was superior product then perhaps not. But given the fact that the legitimate distillers/bottlers produce bourbon that is at least as good, I'm inclinded to support those who are the most forthcoming.
    Craig
    Exactly right. I'd probably give in if the more deceptive bottlers were $5 cheaper as well with the same taste. But the point is that in my book, they're coming to the plate with two strikes.

Enthusiast
    I just can't fault anyone for taking some leeway with advertising. I don't give a damn where it comes from. My only concern is taste vs. price. I am a strong subscriber to the "it's what's in the bottle that counts" camp. I couldn't care less where it is from as long as it tastes good. There are many whiskeys that I know exactly where they are made, the exact mash bill, etc. But I still wouldn't give you any of my hard earned $ because it tastes like crap. There are others that I have no idea who made it or mash bill but it is very yummy and the price is right so that is all that matters to me. God bless the free market. Choices are a great thing.

Enthusiast

But if you like something it's nice to know where it's from, might give you an idea which bottle to buy next

The image of a bottler should be taken into concern as well. A few would bottle anything where as others are far more selective, thats my experience

It has a lot to do with what spirits each bottlers have access to as well

Steffen