Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Mellow Corn Is Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Glad you mentioned your GT. I've ordered a bottle and will do
    a side-by-side with MC. I look forward to comparing the two!
    Since ours is white, it is more like georgia moon. But a little aging would prove it to be like mc. Talking about mc, it is so hot, I just came in and fixed a BIG glass long with lots of ice and water. Talk about beating the heat.

Connoisseur

Dave,

No dice on the Mellow Corn. I was told by every liquor store I went into that the distributor for that area dropped it. However, I was able to get you a 375ML bottle of Philadelphia Blended Whisky. It's the new stuff, from Heaven Hill. I bought a bottle for myself and it isn't bad. I figured you'd want one just to sip now and then. It was $6.

As a side note, I dropped in at the Delaware Phoenix Distillery in Walton, NY and met Cheryl. She's just getting started on whiskey and I bought a signed bottle of her "Rye Dog" 100pf unaged rye whiskey.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    "Rye Dog" 100pf unaged rye whiskey.
    Does it say "whiskey" on the label?

Connoisseur

Text of front label:

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

RYE DOG

Unaged Artisanal Whiskey From Rye

Whiskey Alc. 50% By Vol.
    750ML

Text of rear label:

Distilled and Bottled by Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY

Batch 11-2
    Bottle 109

A little distillery in upstate New York is where I make this artisanal whiskey distilled from rye and malted rye, based on 19th century methods in a traditional copper pot still.

Unaged white whiskey, aka "white dog," was long a tradition before whiskey was aged in oak. Being made of rye, this is then RYE DOG- a 100 proof pup.

NYISC GOLD AWARD 2010

www.delawarephoenix.com

Govt' warning and UPC label and picture of Cheryl with her pot still.

She made mention about submitting a label for the upcoming release of her bourbon (which will be slightly aged) and said it was sent back and they told her it MUST say "Whiskey" on the front label.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

I'm surprised she can call it "whiskey" without any aging at all. Maybe they've made up an "unaged whiskey" category on the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think they still require some contact with wood for use of the term 'whiskey,' but that's easily accomplished.

They were at one time using the term 'grain spirits' but then realized they already had that term designated for neutral spirits that had wood contact. The GNS in Seagram's Seven, for example, is actually 'grain spirit,' because it has been mellowed in used barrels for about 3 months.

Connoisseur

On a side not, anybody had Seagrams 7 lately? It is fine stuff. Very rye rich. Chuck, I probably should know this, but can caramel be added to a blended whiskey made in this country? I detect it in the seagrams, and if it were not there, it would be great.

Ethan you should have come on up to Watkins and got your mc. You could have come by FLD at the same time.

Connoisseur

I'm hoping to do that on a second trip, probably next year. I'd really like to get up to your distillery!

Advanced Taster

During my trip to GA, I secured a bottle of Mellow Corn and found it very good! It does have a heavy, oily mouthfeel similar to what I find in Irish whisky. It definitely isn't as sweet as you'd think for being straight corn, but for $13 it was a good deal! Now I need to try and stock up in NY.

Eric

Advanced Taster

Ethan, in tasting Mellow Corn, J.W. Corn, and Dixie Dew, I actually enjoy the J.W. Corn a bit more. It's a richer, fuller flavored corn whiskey. Mellow Corn, in spite of the name, has a great spice character to it, and slots in just behind it in my viewpoint. Dixie Dew is flatter than both. Just my two cents.