Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

Bourbon destinations in or around NYC

Folks,

I am traveling to NYC for my birthday. Staying in Brooklyn from August 11-15th and I'm wondering if anyone can help me locate the following:

1. Liquor stores to check out in NYC
    2. Bars that have amazing bourbon selection
    3. SBers that want to meet for a drink in or near 1 or 2

Connoisseur

Re: Bourbon destinations in or around NYC

I can only help on the first one.

I would definitely check out Park Ave Liquors (on Madison Ave near Grand Central Station). The have an excellent selection along with great private bottlings (IMHO they are a little pricey on the private bottlings).

I haven't been there, by I understand Astor Wine and Spirits is also a good place (I met one of their folks at NYC WhiskyFest last year and he seemed very knowledgeable).

I don't know your transportation status, but if you have a car Bottle Bargains in Long Island while having a limited selection of whisk(e)y does have some great values. Definitely check their web site to see if they have anything you want before making the drive.

Tom

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Blue Smoke BBQ/Jazz Standard on 27th Street has decent food and a nice bourbon cocktail list. And, most importantly, an 18yo "Blue Smoke" bottling done by the Van Winkles. Only place to drink it is there and at a few SB'ers homes.

Randy

If you are staying in Brooklyn you should check out Char 4. They have a pretty good bourbon selection and I understand the food is pretty good.

Also not sure where you coming from but be aware that pricing for whiskey is higher in Manhattan. You should still check out Park Ave and Astor as they have larger selections.

Lastly if you fancy a day trip you could checkout Tuttilletown.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Char 4 for sure, also the Gingerman beer bar has a very nice bourbon and rye selection: it's not a specialty whiskey place but it has a good cut of what's good today - so, useful if you like a fine craft or imported beer too. On 36th between Madison and Fifth Ave.

In Grand Central Terminal is the Campbell Apartment for great cocktails and whiskey in a period atmosphere.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_Apartment

For retailers, in addition to what Tom mentioned, Broadway Wines and Spirits is excellent and has the best pricing I've seen, it's at 4th street and Broadway, not far from Astor's.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-19-2011 at 07:44.

Taster

Char 4 - Another vote for this bar, especially if you're in Brooklyn. Huge list, decent prices, and an excellent brunch menu. They have "Early Bourbon" happy hour special- check out their site or facebook page for details. Heres their menu- http://charno4.com/menu/wine-and-whiskey/

Death and Company - East Village. Amazing cocktail bar with a solid whiskey selection. Get there early (6-6:30) as they have a small space and you need to be seated. They have some different things on their menu like Classic Cask.

I've heard Angel's Share and Brandy Library are also both very good but haven't checked them out yet.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Blue Smoke BBQ/Jazz Standard on 27th Street has decent food and a nice bourbon cocktail list. And, most importantly, an 18yo "Blue Smoke" bottling done by the Van Winkles. Only place to drink it is there and at a few SB'ers homes.

Randy
    Can you tell me more about this Blue Smoke you speak of?

Virtuoso

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. Looks like Char 4 is a definite destination

Disciple

Too bad LeNell's is no longer around...
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Can you tell me more about this Blue Smoke you speak of?
    Sadly we didn't get there on our visit to NYC, so I can't offer any personal experiences. Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.bluesmoke.com/blue/index.html