Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: Bourbon destinations in or around NYC

I'll second the Brandy Library and add Keen's Chop House for great steaks with a decent Bourbon selection and a great scotch selection. They make a great Manhattan also.

Advanced Taster

I went to the Brandy Library on Thursday night and had a 14YO Thomas Handy Barrel Proof Rye (134.8 proof), I think. It was late in the evening.

It's a great place that has whiskies from all over, including a good selection of craft guys.

Enthusiast

Had probably the best old fashioned I've ever had at a little place is East Village called Black Market- not a huge selection, but a great recipe. There was a little basement bar nearby with probably 50-60 bottles, including several Pappys and similar. I'll try to get the name from the friend who took me there. For what it's worth, East Village was a ton of fun if you are intimidated by the subculture crowd- lots of people watching and tons of little hole in the wall bars and restaurants.

Enthusiast

Had probably the best old fashioned I've ever had at a little place is East Village called Black Market- not a huge selection, but a great recipe. There was a little basement bar nearby with probably 50-60 bottles, including several Pappys and similar. I'll try to get the name from the friend who took me there. For what it's worth, East Village was a ton of fun if you are not intimidated by the subculture crowd- lots of people watching and tons of little hole in the wall bars and restaurants.

Virtuoso

Checking out the Brandy Library menu... and wow quite the selection! Unfortunately also priced a bit high...

Enthusiast

the place in East Village was called Idle Hands. I thought prices were pretty reasonable.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    the place in East Village was called Idle Hands. I thought prices were pretty reasonable.
    Awesome, thanks. I can dig on some subculture.

Virtuoso
    Just made a reservation at the Brandy Library, cant wait to check it out! Think Char No 4 for a good lunch tomorrow

Virtuoso

Brandy Library, Blue Smoke and Char No 4 were all absolutely fantastic, thanks for the recommendations.

Spent two whole days at Char No 4 bullshitting with the staff about whiskey. Probably the most fun I had the entire trip was in that bar. They were all legitimately impressed at my collection and my knowledge. I took them a few ounces (what I could fit in a flask) of OCPR because they had all never heard of it.

I think I tried 30 new American whiskeys while I was out there... going to have to rebuild the list from sloppy memories when I have a second.

Picked up a bottle of Vintage Rye 21 and managed to get it back in one piece in my suitcase.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    I ended up in Idle Hands last weekend and thought it was fantastic. Got a pour of VWFRR to start and then a pour of a single barrel Evan Williams that seems to have been bottled exclusively for them. The bartender took a couple bucks off the price of that one since they couldn't track down either of my other two choices (Pure Kentucky and Old Forester Signature) on a very chaotic back bar.

The vibe is anything but contemplative but it's a great place to drink some bourbon in a fun atmosphere.