Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Trays

Enthusiast

Re: Ice Trays

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    What is the right temp?
    The right temp is not directly out of the freezer. And what I mean by that is that you need to let it sit out and temper for a little bit before carving so it doesn't just shatter each time you try to chip or chisel it. You want the ice to shave rather than chip (except for when removing larger chunks)

A typical ice block used for ice sculpture is about 20" wide x 40" tall x 10" deep and weighs in at nearly 300 pounds. You usually let those sit for about 1 to 2 hours before carving. Of course, the smaller the block the less time it is going to take to temper. A good rule of thumb is to carve when the ice stops looking cloudy on the outside due to freezing condensation on the outside of the ice. Melting ice is easier to work with then stuff right out of the freezer.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    What is the right temp?
    I was curious about that too. Just noticed the response, thanks for clarifying!

Disciple

I ended up purchasing some vintage aluminum Frigidaire Quickube double wide trays in new condition. It puts plastic and silicone ice trays to shame in every way. The ice from the aluminum trays is bigger, easier to get out, doesn't taste like plastic, and freezes very fast. I don't understand why the shift from metal to plastic, or better yet, why consumers adopted it.

Highly Recommended.

Connoisseur

I purchased a couple of plastic trays off ebay that make 60 gun drop size/shape ice cubes:
    Arrow Plastic 55 60 Cube Plastic Ice Tray

They are perfect for shot glasses to just cool a bit.

I fill them with distilled water and can use as many as I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    The right temp is not directly out of the freezer. And what I mean by that is that you need to let it sit out and temper for a little bit before carving so it doesn't just shatter each time you try to chip or chisel it. You want the ice to shave rather than chip (except for when removing larger chunks)

A typical ice block used for ice sculpture is about 20" wide x 40" tall x 10" deep and weighs in at nearly 300 pounds. You usually let those sit for about 1 to 2 hours before carving. Of course, the smaller the block the less time it is going to take to temper. A good rule of thumb is to carve when the ice stops looking cloudy on the outside due to freezing condensation on the outside of the ice. Melting ice is easier to work with then stuff right out of the freezer.
    Thank you, Mike!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

I have a couple of these. They work pretty good. Even fit in a glencairn. http://www.gourmac.com/iceballtray.html Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Ironically, today's Garden & Gun email (yes, a truly southern publication!) has a feature on... Ice!

The Ice Rage - http://app.emailtransmit.com/util/vi...6604&t_i=74762 for the online version.

The rest of the article is below:

The Ice Rage

Southerners have always been picky about our ice, especially in our cocktails. We like large, slow-melting cubes in our whiskey. We crush ice to create frozen pillows for our juleps. And while we may not always be proud of it, from time to time we might even put one or two cubes in our white wine, you know, just to cool it down. Recently, it seems like the rest of the country is catching on, and frozen water is reaching a whole new level of artistry.

To ensure your home bar is up to snuff when it comes to the cold stuff, here are a few of our favorite ice tools. Say goodbye to watery cocktails.

Silicone Ice Ball Maker
    The Japanese were the first to use round ice, which has maximum surface area for cooling. These extra large ice balls melt very slowly, so they won't dilute your drink.
    $11.75; muji.us.com

Lewis Ice Bags
    These canvas bags are bartender favorites for crushing ice because they wick away excess moisture that would otherwise end up in your cocktail.
    $3.95; cocktailkingdom.com

Anvil Ice Pick
    Use this to control the size and shape of your ice chips. Bonus: It looks awfully pretty displayed on your bar.
    $50.95; cocktailkingdom.com

King Cubes Silicone Ice Trays
    If you prefer a more traditional ice shape, try these perfectly edged, oversize cubes. They instantly up any drink’s presentation and dissolve slowly enough to preserve its integrity.
    $14.95/set of two; williams-sonoma.com

Disciple

I use a Klein Tools Canvas Bag to crush ice. As far as silicone ice trays goes...blech.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Ironically, today's Garden & Gun email (yes, a truly southern publication!) has a feature on... Ice!

My favorite magazine....of the magazines that I get it is the one that I most look forward to. I just wish it wasn't every two months!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

saw the pricey metal ice ball makers; I went for the silicone version from Amazon. Not clear, but round. It did break in half after about 15 minutes. used distilled water.
    comes in a 4 pack.
    glass is Spiegeleau whisky on the rocks

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ