Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Microdistilled Baby Bourbons

It seems that everyday brings new unaged or lightly-aged whiskeys to my local liquor store's shelves. I've been told these used to be called "white dog" whiskeys. There are malts, wheats, ryes and even millets. (Millet, imagine that!) So, it makes sense that today's "white dog" will eventually become tomorrow's sipping whiskey. When these white whiskeys "grow up", which are you most eager sample?
    Last edited by jbillin; 03-03-2011 at 07:23.

Disciple

Re: Microdistilled Baby Bourbons

Huh???? Micro Baby Bourbons aged too long? What hot-climate Microdistiller has a bourbon older than 15yrs?

Maybe I need more coffee, but I'm confused.
    Last edited by White Dog; 03-03-2011 at 07:38.

Quote Originally Posted by jbillin View Post
    It seems that everyday brings new unaged or lightly-aged whiskeys to my local liquor store's shelves. I've been told these used to be called "white dog" whiskeys. There are malts, wheats, ryes and even millets. (Millet, imagine that!) So, it makes sense that today's "white dog" will eventually become tomorrow's sipping whiskey. When these white whiskeys "grow up", which are you most eager sample?

See this post

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=15464
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Huh???? Micro Baby Bourbons aged too long? What hot-climate Microdistiller has a bourbon older than 15yrs?

Maybe I need more coffee, but I'm confused.
    JBillin changed his post. My response was to his original text.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jbillin View Post
    I think the ones you mention are the ones I'd most like to try. Stuff made with unusual grains like oats, millet, triticale, and the straight wheat whiskeys, not to mention the handfuls of fruit brandies that are being made too. I think in a few years the world of microdistilling will seperate the wheat (or triticale) from the chaff, as it were. We can start saying "This is good and this isn't" instead of saying everything has "potential".
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

I recall reading that at one time during the Colonial Period peach brandy was the most widely available distillate in the Georgia Colony.

Guru

I find them all to be grossly underaged and grossly overpriced. What's the point?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Well John, I recon the point is you will be saving some money.

Most are overpriced and some are obscenely overpriced. By "overpriced" I mean that if you're looking for a good value compared to other bottles, get something else. By "obscene" I mean some are going for price gouging hoping some sucker will by it. But many micro-distillers have to charge more because it costs them more to produce. They pay more just for an empty bottle than the big guys might pay for some fllled, labled, and cartoned bottles.

However, if you like sampling different flavors and trying some interesting innovative products, then the micro-distlillery stuff shouldn't be overlooked. Some of these guys and gals are really producing some amazing products.

sorry I didn't answer the question. the unaged/underaged whiskeys I'm most interested in trying are authentic bai jiu and similar products.