Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

How to dusty hunt

I know this has been posted before, but could you guys forward me to the other posts or tell me what to look for when dusty hunting? My friend is gonna be around Peoria, IL for a while and figured he could do some damage at those mom and pops stores. I tried a google search and couldn't come up with anything. thanks.
    Last edited by trumpstylz; 07-27-2011 at 16:32.

Connoisseur

Re: How to dusty hunt

I have almost never found anything in stores that can be googled because someone has already done that and been that. I drive around the worst sides of towns and find these old stores that no one knows about. It is time consuming but I go out almost every Saturday. Several weeks ago in an area of the state I stopped at 5 non-google stores before I came to the first google store. Works for me.

Virtuoso

You can save a lot of time if you call ahead and ask how long the store has been in business. Obviously newer stores won't have much for you in the way of dusties. I made the mistake of visiting a town that only went wet in the past 2 years, waste of time!

Connoisseur

You probably have seen this--http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-is-dusty-hunting.html

but if not, it's helpful, especially for the link to the great series of essays on dusty hunting.

Some obvious tips:

Look for tax stamps or faux-tax stamps on anything that says Kentucky Straight Bourbon or Rye.

Look for tax stamps or faux tax stamps on anything that says Bottled in Bond or Bonded.

Have handy a few DSP numbers that you're looking for (e.g. DSP 14 for OGD and OT, 414 for Old Forester... DSP 16 for Old Fitz [among others])
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

DSP 16 or BUST lol

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    You probably have seen this--http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-is-dusty-hunting.html

but if not, it's helpful, especially for the link to the great series of essays on dusty hunting.
    Check the BourbonDork - he did a nice series of DH posts.
    Scroll down for the DH category on the left hand side.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Check the BourbonDork - he did a nice series of DH posts.
    Scroll down for the DH category on the left hand side.
    John - thanks for the plug....
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Hm.... Gainesville, TX has only been wet for 8 years but it almost seems worth this trip with how bored I am today

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I have almost never found anything in stores that can be googled because someone has already done that and been that. I drive around the worst sides of towns and find these old stores that no one knows about. It is time consuming but I go out almost every Saturday. Several weeks ago in an area of the state I stopped at 5 non-google stores before I came to the first google store. Works for me.
    I somehwat disagree with this because in Google-able stores I have found OFBiB(DSPKY16), Pewter top WTKS, OFPrime, Weller Centennial, VSOF12, OCPR, etc etc etc. Good bottles can be found, but it takes a LOT of searching.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    I somehwat disagree with this because in Google-able stores I have found OFBiB(DSPKY16), Pewter top WTKS, OFPrime, Weller Centennial, VSOF12, OCPR, etc etc etc. Good bottles can be found, but it takes a LOT of searching.
    Exactly right. I've found dusties in stores that I've been in many times. Sometimes stuff just appears.