Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

"Old" vs "New" Ezra Brooks

Found a store that has a lot of "Old" Ezra Brooks, UPC 85676 Owensboro. They want about $4 for pints. I got one and really enjoyed it tonight. My question is whether there is any correlation between it and "modern" Ezra Brooks and how do they compare. Never had new EB. BTW, I am going back tomorrow and get some more.

Connoisseur

Re: "Old" vs "New" Ezra Brooks

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=5875

I just Googled "UPC 85676" and that came right up.

Googling DSP numbers with the word "bourbon" also usually lands you back here at SB on a usually helpful thread.
    Last edited by Parkersback; 07-27-2011 at 19:28.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Found a store that has a lot of "Old" Ezra Brooks, UPC 85676 Owensboro. They want about $4 for pints. I got one and really enjoyed it tonight. My question is whether there is any correlation between it and "modern" Ezra Brooks and how do they compare. Never had new EB. BTW, I am going back tomorrow and get some more.
    Are they the 7 year 90 proof?
    HiroProtagonist: I am still trying to figure out what hookers and salsa have to do with each other..

Guru

Ezra from Owensboro is probably Medley whiskey. If so it would be much better than the Luxco stuff that you can get today. IMO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

I have a bottle of '85, no age stated, 90 proof distilled at Medley that is very good and very classic dusty tasting. Per Mike Veach and his time line on BE, Ezra Brooks in 1989 won the Gold Medal at the International Spirits Competition in London. Glenmore acquired Medley in 1988 but I would presume the winner was distilled at Medley.

Never had the current as I have enough of the "old "to last me for a while. Stu brought a pint bottle of the "old" to the Gazebo last April and it disappeared awfully quick among more than a few other contenders.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

My first taste of Ezra Brooks was probably about 5 or 6 years ago. I was having a party and wanted something inexpensive for guests to make whiskey sours. Anyway it was the 7 year old 90 proof EB. Straight, it tasted rather dry and woody (not bad, just not what I was used to). Later batches of Ezra Brooks have tasted to me a lot like the Heaven Hill 6 year old B.I.B. I assume it is made by HH?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It is nothing like current. It has the buttered popcorn goodness. I have had about 5 bottles from that era. I wish I had a case.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Stu said that was his first, almost inadvertent, dusty. That's like batting 1000 your first year out.

Gary

Connoisseur

That should be good stuff. I bought some eb one time in a abc store in Alabama. Early 90's, so it probably had medley in it. I did not recognize that it was blended till I got home. The stuff was amazing. A great blended whiskey. Sounds like I am crazt but i am not. I bought them out. I cannot imagine what the straight tasted like.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Not only would the older stuff be Medley, it also would be 'glut era' whiskey, bottled at a time when everyone was overstocked with old whiskey and bottling at older ages than the label stated. That's the main reason so many dusties are so good. By contrast, supplies are tight now and you know companies that sell bulk whiskey to companies like Luxco do not sell them their best stuff.